Chapter 2: Delivery day(Wayne)

Ethan greeted him as he entered the post office. "Hey, Mornin', buddy."

"Mornin', Ethan." Wayne greeted back. "What we got today?"

Ethan shrugged his shoulder and said. "Honestly not much, which is surprising. Thursdays are one of our busiest days."

Wayne walked behind the desk and checked the amount of mail and packages. He counted roughly 15.

This will only take me an hour or two.

"Tell you what, deliver those and if by lunchtime rolls around and we don't receive any more mail to deliver, you can take the rest of the day off."

He grinned. "Gee thanks, thanks Ethan, I'll take you up on that." He packed his bag, before heading out of the post office.

The morning sun was rising in the eastern sky, bathing the surrounding building in light. A beautiful sight to see.

He went down the stairs, towards south Westown, with a letter to deliver to Frank. The sender's name wasn't presented on it, however, he could take a pretty good guess who the sender was.

Miranda.

The two are practically over heels for each other. Everyone knew, he knew. They weren't exactly being discreet when the two talked late in the day at Garden Grill. He hoped one day they will be happy together.

"Wayne?" A voice called him.

A black-haired woman came over to him. She smiled with a pink blush on her cheeks.

"Monica, right?" He asked, unsure of himself.

"Yes!" She giggled, linking their arms. "It makes me so happy you know my name."

"Likewise," He replied, patting her hand.

Another girl joins him, followed by two more. They appeared inclined to keep him in town. But he couldn't.

"Ladies, please. I need to do my job." He said trying to coax them to leave.

"Awwww....but can't you wait a bit longer?" Asked a brunette.

Wayne shook his head, apologizing. "I'm sorry ladies, it's important to deliver them on time. I'll be back by lunch break as always."

They let him go, sulking, as he walked away. He loved his fans, but sometimes they needed to understand he had a life and work. He was just too kind to say it aloud, being the gentleman he was.

He took the horse carriage. Usually, he'd walk all the way, and stretch his legs for a bit, since the rides came added to travel to each town he didn't waste his time, especially on stormy days.

...

Tsuyukusa welcomed him. The town always never ceased to amaze him, no matter how many times he came. Beautiful. He described it to first-time visitors. Full of an abundance of colors and delicious food and snacks.

"Here on delivery, young man?" An old Japanese man said, smiling warmly.

"Yes, sir!" He says waving goodbye as the man bows to him.

Many of the women stared at him passing by. Blushing and giggling. He knew he was popular for his looks among most of the ladies, be they young or old, however too much attention always made him nervous.

"Hinata, hey." He ran to catch up to the young actor, who walked up the road, humming to himself.

"Wayne, hi!? Do you need something?" Hinata smiled.

"Yeah, actually. I have mail for you." He takes out a blue letter handing it to him.

"Thanks, bro," Hinata replied, taking the letter in his hand. "Oh, it's from the theater." He walked off mumbling to himself.

Okay, Moriya and Ittetsu. He thought, going on his way. After he delivered their mail he headed down the road to the bridge to Tea-ful Reunion.

"Come back for tea sometime!" Ginjiro shouted as he left.

He walked back up north to head for Lulukoko when a familiar voice called out to him. He spun around to find Lisette waving her hand from inside a wagon coming down the road.

"Lisette!? What are you doing here?" He gasped in surprise.

The wagon stopped beside him. Lisette smiled. A warm, gentle smile.

"I was headed to lulukoko to see Sliluka and Illuka, but it looks like you need a lift, yes?" She moved to the side for him to climb in.

"You're a lifesaver, thanking Lisette." He gets in and gives her a hug.

She rests her hands on her face after he lets her go, her cheeks red. The image of a certain crimson-haired girl flashes in his mind. He shook his head to clear his head. Why did he think of her?

A soft ache enters his chest.

"Are you alright?" Lisette's concerned voice breaks in. Her blond ringlets swung as she turned to him.

Wayne smiles at her, hoping she couldn't see the uncertainty in his gaze. "Fine, thanks."

He closes his eyes while she lays her head against the windowsill. She hums softly, a slow tune. It was almost angelic. She had that effect on many, having nearly as much admiration as he did. Her voice, personality, and beauty drew in men. Like him.

However, although the two used to date, he still cared for her. Having split nearly 4 years ago they left on good terms. Now half of the time he thought about the farmer who always plagued his thoughts.

***

"Here we are!" Lisette said the moment they passed the gate. "I'll be getting off here. Once you finish delivering mail, wait for me at the exit if I'm not done."

"I will, I promise." He tells her.

They go their separate ways, her to the twins' shop and him to the inn for the first stop. Ludus waves to him on the way inside. If today wasn't a workday, he'd hang together with his friends. It's been a while since they went out.

Tototara gives him the same friendly smile she always does.

"Must be a package from Miranda." She says.

"How you know?" His eyes widen, the package held in his hands.

She winks. "Old women's intuition." Then she laughed.

He leaves after she tells him the story of the time Ludus ate a spoiled banana au Lait and had stomach cramps for days.

"She told you a story, didn't she?" Ludus asked, standing next to the steps.

Wayne nodded his head in reply.

Ludus grins, coming over and throwing his arm around his shoulders. "Wait!" His grin falls. "Which story did she tell you?"

"Can't tell, I promised her I wouldn't say." He chuckled upon seeing the nervous expression on his friend's face.

"That hurts." He struts away inside the inn.

Finished up his rounds, soon meeting Lisette at the exit as he promised her. They took the Tsuyukusa, "Skanda" palanquin back to Westown.

On the way back she tells him about her day. Explaining how Siluka, read her aura and told her she needed a break to lessen the stress. He agreed, knowing she deserved the rest.