14- new realizations

haseul jumped at the sudden flick of the switch.

"what are you guys doing here?"

haseul craned her neck around kahei to see jinsol, who was grabbing yerim's arm.

"we could say the same about you two." kahei put her hand on haseul's thigh behind her.

jinsol stepped closer until she could see what was in front of them.

"what is that?"

"a sack we found here a few days ago. we think we're being spied on."

jinsol turned back to yerim then made eye contact with haseul. "yerim heard someone talking about jungeun in here. and her recovery process."

haseul stuttered for a second. "we just got here. like a minute ago."

"why did you come back?"

haseul and kahei stood up, and haseul held the notebook they were looking at.

"we wanted to check if a notebook we found was updated." haseul offered the notebook to jinsol, but yerim took it and ripped her arm out of jinsol's hand.

"it's just our names." yerim looked up and gave the book to jinsol. "what else is in the sack."

"goggles, headphones and a walkie talkie." kahei grabbed the bag and handed it to jinsol, who took it without a split second of hesitation.

"did anyone try using heat on the notebook to see if it's invisible ink?"

haseul glanced at kahei and kahei looked back. "no, we weren't in a decent enough headspace to come up with that idea."

"okay," jinsol started walking out of the room, "let's go."

✰ ☾ ✰

jiwoo felt more heartache being with sooyoung than she did when she wasn't.

am i even WITH sooyoung?

it never felt like it.

it was 2am and jiwoo was facing sooyoung's back in bed. she knows sooyoung has been struggling with heejin. she knows she lost her best friend, yet the feeling is bittersweet.

finally sooyoung doesn't have to worry about heejin finding out about them; but sooyoung is so distraught and acting unlike herself that there isn't anything to find out.

they sleep in the same bed at night, but they eat meals at different times. when one person is out eating or socializing, the other stays back so nothing can happen.

sooyoung moved slightly, and jiwoo took a deep breath.

"sooyoung, are you awake?"

"kinda."

"can i ask you something?"

"go for it."

"are you still interested in me?"

sooyoung didn't respond for a few seconds, then she rolled to face jiwoo.

"why are you asking?"

"forget it. sorry, go back to bed."

jiwoo started to turn but sooyoung placed her hand on jiwoo's check and she faced her again.

"i'm sorry it doesn't feel that way, but i am still interested in you. it's not your fault that we're stuck on this ship with this many people."

jiwoo closed her eyes and enjoyed the warmth of sooyoung's hand.

"okay"

the touch of sooyoung's forehead to hers comforted jiwoo, and she fell asleep shortly after.