An eternal restart

The sky was an azure blue color, a sky from which no cloud dared to appear to disturb this tranquility. It was quite rare for the weather to be so mild above the town of Tiegenhoff, which is located on the border between the Empire on one side and the Russian Federation on the other.

Only certain plumes of smoke as well as violent howls came to disturb this tranquility. On the ground, this tranquility was only a utopia. Large clouds of dust crossed the plains as well as the urban crown of the city according to the goodwill of the wind. Gigantic smoking craters had formed over time, whether in the fields, on the surrounding hills, around or in the middle of the city, creating for some a temporary shelter against bullets, and for others, the place where they would rest for eternity.

 Gigantic smoking craters had formed over time, whether in the fields, on the surrounding hills, around or in the middle of the city, creating for some a temporary shelter against bullets, and for others, the place where they would rest for eternity

The buildings were partially or completely destroyed. Only a few buildings have been able to resist the events by who knows what miracle. But the various battles that took place there would certainly leave many scars, whether on the infrastructure or also in people's minds.

The ground was littered with the dead bodies of Federation and Imperial soldiers. Everywhere as far as the eye could see, several corpses were there, sometimes creating mounds of bodies. We couldn't count them all, there were so many of them. So much so that it seemed possible to fill a dozen large buildings like the Reichstag to the ceiling. Sometimes you could even make out large pools of blood here and there. If this wasn't Hell, it must have looked very much like it.

On both sides of the outskirts of the city, fighting raged, it had been about fifty days that the situation persisted for the control of Tiegenhoff. This city was not known for its climate, nor even for its gastronomy, nor even for potential resources. The interest there was purely strategic. To hold Tiegenhoff was to hold one of the greatest railway centers in the east. Its control made it possible to manage all the logistics as well as the supply of food, ammunition, and soldiers. This is a neuralgic point that must be kept/taken back at any cost.

Tanya understood this very quickly, she and her squad had been mobilized from the start of the conflict to defend the site. The first few days were grueling and very deadly. The Federation attacks continued, company after company, battalion after battalion, soldier after soldier. The waves were relentless. The Empire was resisting as best it could, it did not have the same human resources as the Federation, however, it made up for this lack of men with an important technological advance and its few regiments of flying mages.

Tanya and her battalion were above the last bridge still standing giving access to the southern part of the city. The orders were clear, defend this bridge no matter what. It was not the main front, sometimes a few Federation tanks tried to force their way through, but they were quickly pushed back by the armor-piercing shots of the mages.

After the last shots, a great calm took over. The silence lasted only a while until a complaint coming from one of the subordinates reached her.

Grantz: "ARRR, Commander, nothing is happening, we should be in the North to help our allies but instead we are here playing guard on this bridge which threatens to collapse at any moment. Shouldn't we destroy it instead? That way the enemy could no longer pass..".