D-1 before training

POV Tanya Degurechaff

Tanya had no trouble getting used to her new rank of lieutenant, although she felt like she had been demoted compared to her old rank of major in her previous life. But on the other hand, she no longer needed to go to all the fronts of the country, because according to these observations, this world seemed at peace despite the many acts of piracy.

Once arrived in town with Sergeant Koby, Tanya asked him to tell her about the uniform shop that the Fleet Admiral had asked her to visit to change clothes before parting on the pretext of not wanting to buy clothes in the company of a man.

Having learned of the reason why she wanted to separate, Koby turned all red and headed in the opposite direction to a small cake shop.

Being finally alone for a while, Tanya decided to visit the city by going to what seemed to be the big square in the city center. It wasn't the biggest square she had seen, but it seemed to be bustling and full of life. The area was bounded by homes and businesses. In the center was a park with lots of trees and greenery. A playground was erected in the center of the park. All around the park, people came and went between the various businesses and restaurants.

"It must be the families of the soldiers," concludes Tanya, "otherwise what would so many civilians do near a military zone."

What caught the eye the most was a large, solid gold clock fixed to the facade of the buildings to the north of the plaza. The dial was to be about three meters in diameter. A single hand, at the end of which represented a lamb, indicated the hours.

Her thoughts were interrupted by a voice that seemed to call her and came from behind her. Turning around, she saw a soldier running towards her.

Lieutenant Degurechaff, Lieutenant Degurechaff he cried before arriving in front of her out of breath.

Yes? What do you want from me, soldier? She allowed herself to answer like that because she had assimilated the fact that only soldiers wore the basic uniform of the Navy. The officers, on the other hand, had much more freedom regarding their clothing choices.

"Fleet Admiral Sengoku instructed me to deliver this to you," the soldier replied while handing over a leather wallet. "It should contain 100,000 Berry to be able to buy your equipment"

Tanya thanked the soldier and took the wallet and slipped it into the inside pocket of her jacket. Before letting the soldier go, Tanya asked if he could give the amount of a Marine soldier's monthly salary.

The question seemed to surprise the soldier because Tanya saw the latter's eyebrows rise.

"About 210,000 berry Madame." He seemed curious about her request, but he surely didn't dare to question his superior.

"That will be all for my soldier, You are dismissed"

The soldier saluted Tanya by raising her hand to her temple, which her boots clacked at the same time before turning around and heading back to HQ.

Before heading to the clothing store which was in an adjacent street behind the main square, Tanya began to look at the windows of the various shops, whether clothing stores, food stores, weapons stores...

With what she had just seen of the various items on display and the amount of the soldier's salary, Tanya came to the conclusion that the value of the "berry" was similar to the Japanese Yen. deduce that 100 yen was more or less equivalent to 125 berries of this world.

It was important for the young girl to know the value of money in this world because she did not want to be cheated by unscrupulous people.

Looking back at the clock in the square, Tanya noticed that it was already three o'clock in the afternoon. She hurried to join the uniform shop because she did not know its opening hours. To go faster and avoid going around this square, a shortcut was needed. Tanya took the path of the park and crossed it.