The First Home

A lovely green forest surrounded a hidden home with tall spires, a massive greenhouse, and a topiary surrounded backyard. A dozen children ran about, scattered across the yard. Similarly aged kids played together, two boys kicked a ball while another played referee, a girl followed around a set of twins. Four teens stood about by a tree, a blonde holding out her hand to catch a squirrel just as it fell.

A tall woman with wildly curled hair looked out at them all. She smoked a pipe idly, enjoying the peace, calm, and reliability of her loop. Her eyes jumped from one group to the next before a frown pulled at her mouth. She moved her head to look at the ceiling, as if she could see through the walls to the only ward she couldn't locate without making her rounds.

You had slept through breakfast and she'd allowed it as you'd been rocked by a series of nightmares which interrupted your nights then boughts of weakness and pain which spoiled your days.

With one final glance to the yard, Alma LeFay Peregrine walked upstairs and into the room you shared with her first ward. She didn't knock, not wanting to accidentally startle you awake. You did need to wake for the day, but she wanted to gently rouse you. Stepping into the room, Alma frowned in the utmost sympathy.

Your single blanket was kicked down around your feet, though you glowed with a layer of sweat coating your body. Your eyes jerked around beneath your shut lids, and you tossed your head back and forth, a pained grimace dominating your features. Your already white fingers clutched at the sheets beneath you. A strange mist filled the air and Alma froze.

She had long since predicted the cause of your discomfort was your emerging Peculiarity taking its toll. Ironically, Horace had not had a single nightmare since your arrival. Not even one negative prophecy passed his monocle. Alma stepped through the mist with a heavy heart. She hadn't quite guessed your gift so the manifestation could mean anything. No harm came from her motion so she sat on the side of your bed. Slowly, she reached out a hand to take your shoulder. Your head jerked to look at her, though your eyes remained shut. The only reaction you seemed to have out of the ordinary, therefore in reaction to her touch, was a pained moan. Her heart cracked in two at your agony, but she was pushed through her pain to reach you through yours. She called your name a few times, shaking you gently, then harder.

Your eyes were a bright red-violet when they snapped open, and you moved to sit up swiftly. You scooted back away from Alma, eyes searching the room for whatever you'd dreamt of. Miss Peregrine's hands followed you instinctively. The color of your eyes returned to normal as you decided the threat was not in the real world. You let out a relieved huff and relaxed against the wall against the head of the bed.

"Would you like to talk about it?" she asked hopefully. She was convinced your dreams would reveal your peculiarity easier, but you were very tight-lipped about them.

You, as expected, shook your head then looked out the window. The children were in the yard so it was after breakfast. Again. You pulled your wrist to your face and pressed the button on the side of your very intricate bracelet. The cover popped open and you read the time: 10:28. You'd nearly slept the day away. With a sigh, you leaned back against and hid in your hands.

Miss Peregrine reached forward, took your wrists, and slowly pried your face free. Her kind green-grey eyes bored up at you pleading for your self-compassion. "You must sleep more when you are ill."

"I'm not sick," you insisted as you always did. You brought your feet to the edge of the bed. "This is just how I am." You got to your feet and moved to the restroom to wash off the sweat.

Alma watched you go in sympathy, but said nothing.