Reaching For You

Moiraine was successfully talked into joining the home for breakfast. You redressed in now clean clothes and Alma offered to clean Moiraine's. "Can I wear what our beloved wore?" she replied saucily. The kids all ooed while Miss Peregrine glowered. 

"Moiraine," you scolded quietly before gesturing to the young audience. 

"Ooh, this one told me she'd 87 years old. That's plenty old enough," Moiraine teased to get on the children's good side. A foolhardy mission, they loved so easily. 

"She may be plenty old, but what do you see when you look at her?" you asked pointedly, so Alma didn't have to. Moiraine looked stunned that you validated the child's age. Standing in Enoch's spot, you joined your knuckles anxiously. "Now... I just wanted to tell you all, I've already told Miss Peregrine, I am so sorry for how things ended before. I told your headmistress I will leave whenev-" 

"No!" some of the kids shouted. 

"Why?" a few others called. 

"You can't leave. That's how things ended before!" Bronwyn shouted out. 

You couldn't believe the level of opposition you were meeting. Tears welled in your eyes and you felt the emotions in your chest. "Well, it sounds like I'll have to visit plenty and keep in contact," you mused, faking offhandedness. You sat next to Moiraine who took your hand and gave you a sympathetic smile. It seemed you would be stretched thin. 

The kids cheered and you could see the smile on Miss Peregrine's face. 

"Unfortunately, we do have to leave soon." 

The group awed. 

You smiled a bit, then played it off by looking at your oddly dressed companion. "I wonder if the 1940s have any modernly acceptable clothes." 

"Couldn't any of us pass, just by our clothes?" Millard asked. You looked around at them all in reaction. You held back a smirk at the invisible's clothes, then shook your head, your eyes trailed to Olive and you tilted your hand. The dress was a bit old fashioned but that was commonplace anymore. Still, she would stand out. You also wiggled your hand at Hugh and Fiona. You shook your head at Claire, smiling at her lovely almost tutu of a skirt, Bronwyn, the Twins, and Horace. Again, Emma would stand out. And none of these clothes would fit Moiraine. 

"Check my closet before you go," Alma recommended. 

She did have some trousers still in Alma and matched Moiraine's signature color. The white blouse could be covered by the Sedai's personal coat, but you stared her down until she took the blazer Alma offered. The kind Ymbryne also had a small travel bag for you both. You gave each kid their own long, drawn out goodbye and promised to write. Alma gave you the number to her phone and you told her you'd make it work. Honestly, the goodbyes would have gone on much longer if Alma hadn't noticed it was getting close to the last ferry. She wasn't going to tell, but you had Mind Magic on autopilot. You and Moiraine made it to the dock just in time. 

The Ticketmaster perked up when he saw you. "Oy! Haven't seen you in ages. What you been up to?" 

You stepped onto the boat. "Oh, I kept travelling, but I had a few people missing me." Moiraine tried to subtly step up behind you. You felt trepidation and heard she'd never been on a boat for very long. 

Unfortunately, the man mentally gushing over you got suspicious. "Soo, where's your ticket and who's your friend?" You did not need the mental images this man was coming up with. 

"Uhm..." you glanced back at Moiraine and decided you couldn't throw her under the bus. "We had round-trip tickets, like most tourists, and I... lost them." You grimaced. "...Sorry. This is.... Aliya," you lied. Moiraine also smiled at the man.