Hardships Untold

You were tied to the injured patients, your consciousness reaching farther as the room filled with more minds. Soon, minor pains faded from those lightly injured. Next went anxiety, the crippling kind associated with war. Two more infected came into your immediate vicinity. One insisted on walking it off (he would sleep when dead) and the other was so overcome with agony, his father and sister were paralyzed with horror. 

You felt heavy with all the pain and worry and anxiety curdling in your stomach. Farah was worrying, not that she hadn't been all night, and Bloom had a plan, but a lot of alternative input blocked the easy flow from the currently, but rarely confident teen. And, now, you shouldered the petrifying emotions. Was it harder to breathe or were they just coming too quick? You set your hands on a table, working to keep your breaths and emotions steady. 

Farah confused her students well, with the confidence and commands of a General. You wondered if you even knew what it meant to be an Alfean. The Burned Ones were finally at the door, slamming against the strength of a barricade. It was a constant state after a while, the students' adrenaline less urgent once they got used to the sound. The Headmistress took the moment and sought out the injured. You were still with them, of course, and the infection hadn't seemed to have spread any further with any of them. The table-bound patients were seemingly unconscious, at such peace, so Farah accepted the relative privacy and took your hand. Your fingers twitched and you instinctively squeezed. Not hard, but enough to communicate nonverbally. The older woman cupped your hand in both of hers. "Are you alright?"

You let out a breathless sigh. "I'm managing. For now. Bloom's planning something, you should check in." You spoke quietly, affected. 

But your girlfriend didn't need Mind Magic to know you weren't ok. She moved in closer, her side against yours. 

This time, you took in an unsteady breath. You felt the oh-so comforting warmth of Farah Dowling with you again and you practically melted at the slightest touch. You halfway turned to her, the purple in your eyes blinking in and out. "You're distracting me!" you whined. The pain trickled from your senses, until you grabbed onto it and pulled it back to you. You whimpered once the entirety settled back over you, burying your face in her coat. You wanted to melt into her, let her comfort you, let go of the pain. "You're too tempting," you admitted while your gingers dug into her arms and inhaled her scent. "Go check on Bloom," you pleaded. "Go- go- go." You waved trembling hands which were made worse by the kiss on your forehead. But she left your immediate vicinity, both a blessing and a curse. You were alone with your pain, but the injured didn't feel any. 

A loud crashing broke all of your concentration and the straight beam of Fire Magic didn't help. One of the guys behind you screamed as he took his pain back, but a Burned One fell through the freaking roof and was in the courtyard. You took a swift inhale and executed Farah's incinerated innards trick. The monster fell four steps into its charge. 

You felt Farah's proud gaze, but you had agony to take without the distraction. You looked at Ben with glowing eyes. "I don't suppose you can use that to fix any of them?" you asked half sarcastically, nodding sideways at the corpse. You watched in awe as one of the victims stood without a mark on them and no infection visible. It was just like with Silva being cured. He quickly went to rejoin his comrades and fight the good fight. But the invading Burned Ones stopped knocking. It was like the fight disappeared. But the students were still infected so you stayed with them while Farah left the area. You forlorned at your own worry. 

A minute felt like an hour so you must've been waiting for days before the pain faded into nothing, along with the infection. The light faded from your eyes as you looked around, relief pouring from walls and pores.