Stop Saving My Life!

The bonded pair arose long before the sun and they got everything ready for the journey to continue. From the moment they awoke, you were whining and jerking your head. But sleep is sleep. Ish. Once they were ready to go, Moiraine forcefully shook you awake. Your eyes popped open and stared everywhere her presence allowed. They bugged when you saw the damn-near army behind the pair. You gasped, pointing them. The mist in the air cycled your arms and pushed outward, forcing the front-man through the air and to the middle of their army. You flew backwards, more power wrapping you up. The prospect of an Army marching on you was like you were still having a nightmare. The Source came up your legs and rooted the legs of many soldiers to the ground. You landed on your feet and was entirely enclosed in the One Power, unknowingly taking apart an army. 

Moiraine suddenly appeared through the mist, taking your shoulder and pulling you to your feet. 

"For the Dragon!" someone shouted. The mass was massive and they were all suddenly charging. 

"Can't you just-" You started to question. 

Moiraine mounted her horse and you did the same with yours. "Humans aren't to be killed except as a last resort," she actually answered. Lan was leading your retreat and you both followed obediently. 

The army tried to follow, but most of the soldiers weren't even on horseback. The few that could actually follow did pursue, but you made them pull their reins toward the other rider. Their horses tripped over one another. 

You were thankful for your horse's knowledge on following the other two because you had no idea how to direct it, let alone riding at a run, and be chased, and shot at, and use defensive magic. You were hardly able to stay on the equine's back. But your Fairy Magic was on, as it always was, so you knew the men were still targeting the three of you. 

Those on horseback tried to cut through the crowd on foot but ended up committing more harm to their own than stalking. Archers notched arrows and loosed them. 

Violet eyes bugged and you half-turned. Magenta energy seized the pointed stick. It dropped midair just as you three passed the crest of the hill. 

You were terrified your horse would trip over its own legs and you both would go tumbling. Perhaps it was the three horses' hoof-beats or the speed that scared you. Either way, you were relieved when you all slowed back down. You knew enough from books and movies to know to pull the reins, just like driving, a little at a time. You didn't stop, the pair leading onward. It made sense, keep creating distance as the army continued to march. 

You were miles from where the army was, now, so Moiraine made for a real road. You both followed her at a calmer pace. "They said Dragon. The same one you said I was connected to?" you asked. 

They didn't answer, sharing a mysterious look. Ooofffff course. She'd yet to get an answer for the last one.

It was only once you found a town and a room that they exchanged words. Not a hint to their attempted ambushers, but a debate about where they would lodge. She got a single room with two beds, and a bathing basin. 

A massive bath; that was the "bathing basin". You turned away while the pair stripped. "You're welcome to join," Lan finally spared you a word. 

"I had my bath," you whispered, though the pair heard you clearly. You laid on the bed, facing away to give them privacy. You wanted to step out - which would be better - and explore, but the second you relaxed on a bed, you felt the pain in your legs and you went limp. 

"Your bath was via a freezing river. You might-"

"Moiraine," the Sedai's bonded interjected. He stared at the slow, deep movement of your shoulders. 

A weight behind you punched through the dark fog, tempting you. You felt that familiar cool wet feeling of the One Power easing your tired legs. You didn't know riding for days on end for the first time ever riding would be a bad idea. A hand over your hair drew you awake, making you turn over just enough to see Moiraine in your bed. You turned back, mumbling incoherently. It was just a series of syllables then a mumbled "...self."

"You held back an army today," Moiraine muttered. 

You hummed your argument. 

Moiraine's laugh was a melodic huff of air and she set her hand on your side, rolling you again. 

"Keep. Your hands. To yourself," you ordered as bluntly as you could, forcing the energy to talk. 

Rising to her hands and knees, the blue-clad Aes Sedai hovered over you, staring down at your sleepy face. "Stop saving my life," she commanded in return. "And you didn't seem to mind my hands on you when we were training."

You glared up at her, eyes opening smoothly. "Would you rather I let you get stabbed in the back or leave you for dead? And I needed that training." You sat up, forcing the woman back. 

Hands hovered around your face, but obeyed your wishes. "I'm not so sure of that, but I'd rather... save you. This makes twice now."

You'd yet to see any vulnerability from the Aes Sedai so the blatant regret, disappointment in herself was a sight. "Well, you aren't the first supposedly capable, supposedly powerful woman I've saved. And given the chance, I would never allow harm to come to anyone." Vulnerability shifted to certainty and you weren't sure what was genuine, if any of her. "Now, I'd like to try my hand at a bit of sleep so either stay on your own side of the bed, or sleep with your guard dog." And you rolled yourself back over, trying to slip back into that dreamless blackness. 

Moiraine watched your attempt at relaxing, retracting to her side of the bed, as requested. She stared at your back, impressed and assured at and by your declaration. Dark tempted channelers so, especially ones prophesied and therefore powerful. You wouldn't tell what you saw, but she knew. The Dragon Reborn was a wild card, too easily swayed, too well-known. The Mist was burdened, tied to much, and had to realize their potential. And so you saw the smallest potential. Watching the prophesy related to the one she chose, as close as she knew she'd get to the Dragon, the woman felt at ease enough to fall asleep. 

You didn't sleep.