Unwanted Eyes

You did make it into the Stone Circle that evening. If anything, it was a much needed distraction. You and Farah meditated uselessly for what felt like hours. 

The Headmistress refused to tell you your aspect, though she'd parted with the promise that you'd practice with it your next lesson. 

It made little difference, though, as your migraine the next morning was not due to the alcohol, rather the voices filling your mind. You could hardly rise from your bed without collapsing as the morning routine of every inhabitant of Alfea flooded you more efficiently than serotonin. Headboy or not, a teenager's morning routine was never to be understood in its entirety. Your hair had to make due with nothing more than a brief brushing before you braved the halls. 

Teenagers filled the halls and hormones filled your senses. Impulsive urges and random crushes, absolute embarrassment and insecurity washed over you, feeling almost one with you. You felt the foreign influence on your own emotions and your plan to find Far- Headmistress Dowling only strengthened. Luckily, you only had to go so far as her assistant's office. You knocked on the door jam and poked your head in, hands interlocked behind your back. "The Headmistress is bust. You'll have to book an appointment," the thin man said immediately. 

You nodded, more timid around unfamiliar people. "You're... Callum, right?" you asked, stepping further into the room regardless. In the next room, it wasn't hard to focus on the Headmistress. Just feeling her near made the weight of the other voices lighter. The woman acted as an anchor as her secretary puffed up and attempted to flirt. The sea of hormones withdrew like the tide in the face of.... You stopped that train of thought and focused on the stammering, floundering young man. It took every mental distraction you already had to resist raising a piteous eyebrow. 

Callum's fingers tapped his pen as he elaborated on his dumb-sounding yet pompously phrased duties. You smiled encouragingly all the same, likely a bad idea. "A-and I carry the Vessel, which is closer than even a specialist can get to it." He so wanted to be a fairy. If his tone and mannerisms didn't tell you that, his thoughts and feelings were screaming it at you. How were you getting thoughts and feelings?

The office door opened very quickly and you almost peed yourself. You stared at the woman in the doorway like a deer in headlights. Busted. You opened your mouth; in greeting, in defense, you didn't know. But either way you said nothing, attention taken by the ginger leaving the office. Power wafted from her and it drew you into her. You felt a familiar fear of hurting someone, teenaged annoyance, and a great deal of impatience. She walked out with your eyes glued to her, but not a single look in your direction. 

You looked back at the expectant headmistress and suddenly flushed as  you recalled your desperation to be just in the next room as her. "Um... I- I was just..." You scratched the back of your neck. "...leaving," you finished with a sharp head shake. You turned away, stepping toward the door. 

Luckily, Farah was not easily discouraged. Her voice echoed in your head, halting your retreat. "You're running away again." 

You stung a bit with indignation, but stopped all the same. You turned back to the ever-so-pleased, totally smug Headmistress. She held out a hand to you, informing her assistant, "Callum, this is one of our new students. She has very special circumstances and she is welcome to sit in this area whenever she needs. If I'm alone in my office, you can just send her through." 

Callum nodded obediently, looking a bit cowed despite the professional tone she took. 

Farah brightened a bit. She curled her fingers twice to signal you back into her office. "Stella, you can come as well." 

You frowned in confusion, yet simultaneously felt a wave of anxiety. You couldn't tell if it was your own. 'Stella' turned the corner of the office's outer door and she was definitely a princess. Your nerves hatched moths from basic butterflies. Farah gently cupped your elbow and guided you into her office, Stella following just behind.