Runaway

You were packing when Farah found you. Rushed and slapdash, and a half frenzied haze, you moved too fast, too jerkily.

It was moments like this Farah wish she were born with any other element. She could calm you down, hell she could make you forget. But the right thing to do was to talk you through it, walk you through it. She took your hand. "I didn't mean to."

The echoing of your exact thoughts made you freeze. You turned to her. "Neither did I." Your face crumbled and you braced yourself on the bed. One hand covered your face and your neck was bent so you face the ground. A warm hand landed on your shoulder and, despite your self-esteem telling you you didn't deserve it, you didn't make her let go, if you even could. "I hurt her," you wept.

Farah moved in behind you, but didn't push for more contact. "You couldn't help it. You lost control."

You shook your head.

Farah tilted her head sympathetically in return. "It was an accident."

You didn't move and Farah didn't expect you to. The two of you just stood there in comfortable silence. Until the headmistress' phone rang. The brunette jump before talking taking out the device. It was Headmaster Silva. She tossed you a regretful glance, rubbing your shoulder in an attempt at comfort, then retreated from your room.

Alone at last you waited until you heard her concerned voice retreat to sink into the bed. From there, it was only too easy to descend in the tears. You miss the kids, you missed the idyllic island, you missed tripping over Frankenstein dolls wandering, and ducking bees at a moment's notice. You missed Alma. You missed her insane hair, her determined and vexed attempts to discover your peculiarity, her personal care, and how much she cared.

It shattered your heart how alone you felt. And it was all your fault.

*~*

It was the final weekend before the majority of the student population would show up. Some of them already had. Heads of their year and the overachiever showed early. You weren't sure of the advantage, but you yet to leave your room since the incident, afraid you'd hurt somebody.

Farah had utmost faith in you and she insisted you'd be fine with the general population. You severely doubted that. She hosted your personal lessons, which you were starting to believe we're a waste of time, and you're sweet. They were halfway just the two of you hanging out, especially when Farah started bringing alcohol.

You were hesitant to answer the knock at your door but only a few even knew where your room was, let alone that you were here. You kept your foot farthest you wanted the door to open to, but cracked it all the same. It was fair, of course. You weren't sure how you knew but you could always tell when Farrah was around you hadn't told her, but you started feeling many things in regards to her. The kind, cautious look on her face did nothing to help those feelings. Her smile was crooked and her uncertainty. "Good evening, dear," she greeted, still unsure of how to interact with you after having the impulse to kiss you. She still wanted to, but she understood you had your own problems. "May I come in?"

You wanted to be alone alone, but you had that the past few days. You looked back into the suite and found an undisturbed from your refusal to leave your bed. You hummed then moved your foot, holding the door open As you stood behind it.

Farah stepped in and you spotted the peculiar bottle she held. It had a very thin neck, though a wide base. The brunette presented it to you when she was fully inside and the door was shut. "Brought a gift," she explained hopefully. "Have you ever tried bourbon?"

You were very confused as to the point of the beverage, but you sought out the glassware cabinet all the same. You place two glasses on the counter and finally answered, "I've never had any alcohol." You didn't know how to explain you've been 4 years younger mere weeks before you met so, unless she knew by her own means, she didn't know a thing about the loop. You thought she was a good person, but you still didn't tell her a thing. You weren't even sure she was Peculiar, if it differed from being fae.