Charlie and Delta

lil army au i wrote at 4am.
got some canon like references and all but well
it's the army, they're not like red cloak wearing knights.
4am writing means that details probably aren't all that accurate, it's fanfic forgive me.

only tw should be war and the consequences of it- injury, war, grief etc
xx
———————————————————————————order of march:

scout: gwaine
ic: arthur
rifleman: merlin
last man charlie: lancelot

rifleman: elyan
rifleman: mordred
21c: leon
rear man: percival
———————————————————————————

"CONTACT FRONT"
Screams Arthur as he hears the rifles fire, rounds flying through the air with a deafening whistle. The other troops relay the message to the rest of the section, the words 'contact front' canonballing down the line. Every mans a link man, one of the first sayings that got drilled into their heads again and again and again- it was essential, without effective communication they would all surely perish out on the battle field.
A blur of MTP encased within forestry darted around in zigzag patterns before promptly disappearing into the overgrown grass. Shots were being fired from both sides, the Camelot Regiment and the Caerleon Regiment. A tragic tale of two regiments allied between Kingdoms torn apart by betrayal, the murder of Camelots King- King Uther. If you were to look from afar it almost appears as blue on blue, the uniforms so similar; yet if you knew where to look you would find the Pendragon symbol sewn into the blanking plates of Arthur's men. The symbol had quickly been recognised as a symbol of hope and a symbol of peace by the kingdoms people.

"CHARLIE FIRE TEAM PREPARE TO MOVE!"
Arthur ordered, his men checking their magazines were fitted and their pouches closed, never once taking their eyes or their fire away from the Caerleons.
"DELTA FIRE TEAM PREPARE TO GIVE COVERING FIRE."
The seconds of silence between an IC's orders during a fire fight could feel like hours, even when in reality it was the difference of laying down two or three more rounds.
"MOVE!"
Arthur yelled, Charlie following suit as they all sprung up from their position sprinting a few metres before disappearing once more. Their bodies fell in a disorganised pattern, spacings far enough that no brass were to burn them but not so far away that rear man of charlie could no longer hear Arthur.

"DELTA FIRE TEAM PREPARE TO MOVE!"
An echo of his last message morphing around the adrenaline. Even over the ringing in their ears they could hear Leon mirror back the quick battle order to his fire team.
"CHARLIE FIRE TEAM PREPARE TO GIVE COVERING FIRE."
He could faintly hear the sound of Merlins magazine pouch open as he switched out his magazine and then the familiar crack of the working parts smashing forward.
"MOVE."

Arthur slowly leapord crawled up to be in line with Gwaine, signalling Merlin to do the same- covering fire still present during the task. One by one the men shuffled into a baseline. The Pendragon Regiment, C Company, Platoon One, Section One- his family: Gwaine, himself, Merlin, Lancelot, Elyan, Mordred, Leon, Percival. He had hand picked his soldiers himself, being the now reigning King of Camelot he wanted the best of the best for his Kingdom. It wasn't typical for the man who resided upon the throne to be down and dirty in the mud but as Merlin so happily liked to remind him, he wasn't like other Royals- although that didn't stop him from calling his IC a huge dollophead...whatever that means.
As soon as Percival asserts his positions his voice breaks out, "BASELINE!", his brothers following in that chain.

Arthur fires another round before switching his rifle into safety and making a run for it a few metres behind his section, he slides into prone position whistling as he does so. Upon the silent conversation Leon repeats this, slamming into the grass by Arthur's side.
"What's the plan sire?"
Leon asks, nobel as ever despite the layers of cam cream that paint his freckled complexion.
"Delta are going to hold covering fire, Charlie are going to flank left. Once you see us emerge from behind the treeline switch fire right."
Leon taps him twice on the shoulder for confirmation before rejoining his fire team.