four times they almost kissed +1

AN-
Not fluffy fluffy
but also kinda fluffy

floof

———————————————————————————
1:
Arthur lay in his bed, eyes glued to the crack in his curtain- Merlin never did learn how to close it fully- as he watched the orange hues build in the sky. His face still even as he heard the birds begin to chirp. The King lay upon his blankets, knees tucked up towards his chest and back flat against the wooden bed board. He felt heavy, beyond exhausted yet still he couldn't sleep.

Arthur almost lost Merlin last night. It wasn't the first time he had been in this position, his brainless servant put himself in harms way almost every week. Yet somehow this time felt more real. He had Merlin in his arms, the boy had looked impossibly pale. Arthur couldn't shake the coldness that flooded Merlins eyes as his soul drifted away. Even now his hands felt sticky, drenched in Merlins blood. Arthur knew that Merlin was alright, that Gaius had saved him, but still he was terrified.

Arthur never truly thought he could lose Merlin until last night. No matter how many times Merlin came face to face with death, Arthur always knew that somehow he would come through. Not this time though. When George had closed his chamber doors Arthur had let himself cry, let himself sob and unleash all the built up fear that had overcame him in those fateful hours.

It had allowed him to think, to truly understand his servants importance. That had scared him too, how dearly he held Merlin in a status that no other could compete.

Arthur's thoughts were disrupted as a knock sounded through his chambers. The King knew that it wouldn't be Merlin yet still his heart sank as George came through with a tray of breakfast.

"Good morning sire, would you like help to be dressed."
His voice was so assertive, in the way most proper servants were. Arthur could only give a small silent nod. Face still blank as his bed clothes were stripped and replaced by the royal reds. Arthur contained a gasp that bit at his lips, the red of his cloak too similar to Merlins blood.

"I shall leave you in peace Sire."
George bowed, turning around and disappearing as quick as he came.
The room felt disturbingly empty without Merlins mindless chatter. Arthur hated it. No matter how many times he told his servant to shut up, he secretly adored Merlins voice.

Arthur glanced at the table, his stomach turning with the thought of eating. Instead he gathered some breads, cheeses and fruits in a cloth and made his way towards the Physicians chambers.

When he arrived he paused before bringing a fist up to knock.
"Enter."
Gaius sounded from inside. Arthur did so, Gaius' face lighting up for a mere second before frowning.
"He can't report for duty today Arthur."
The older man tutted, eyebrow raised and hands on his hips.
"I know Gaius, i just-"
He paused, coughing awkwardly,
"I just wanted to see him."
Gaius grew a grin that made Arthur blush with the intensity.
"He's just through there."
He could've sworn he heard the man chuckle behind him as he walked up the stairs to Merlins room.

Once again Arthur paused at the door. His mind filled with images of Merlin laying upon a blood soaked bed, pale and unbreathing.
"Come in then you prat!"
Merlins voice teased from beyond the door. Arthur rolled his eyes before turning the handle.
"Hello Merlin."
He began, standing awkwardly in the door way.

"Sit down or something then."
Merlin patted the side of the bed, smoothing down the blanket for invitation.
"I brought food."
Arthur held up his bundle,
"I wasn't sure if you were allowed to eat but it's yours for whenever."
Merlins smile split even wider.
"See, i knew you cared about me."
Arthur ruffled his hair.
"Only because you're ill Merlin, as soon as you're up and about i will be just as horrible as before."