Joggers (modern au)

"Merlin please i don't want to do this i look ridiculous!"

Arthur looked in the mirror and pulled at the clothes that rested on his body.

He didn't like them.

The material was scratchy, they were too tight, he didn't like the colour or the shape, he didn't like the way it looked against his body.

He didn't understand why he couldn't just wear his normal clothes, he thought 21century was meant to be all 'be yourself and fuck everyone else'. Plus he lives in Brighton, literally no one here is normal, so why does it matter what he wears...he just wants to feel comfortable.

He tried to bend down to put on his shoes but the tight material of these dreadful things Merlin likes to call jeans restricted him and he almost fell.

"Merlin please don't make me do this."

The bathroom door opened and Arthur looked at Merlin with pleading eyes. However Merlin ignored this and his eyes lit up.

"Arthur you look amazing, what are you on about?"
Arthur began to tear up slightly, although he was unsure why. He was ecstatic to be back with Merlin but he missed Camelot and he missed how everything was. Too much had changed and it was a little overwhelming.
"I don't like it Merlin."

Merlin sighed but gave in, he didn't want Arthur to feel bad. That wasn't his goal.
"Right get out of those, i'll come back with something else. If you don't like these you can wear your old stuff, okay?"
Arthur nodded and sniffled, glad to finally get out of the death trap he was wearing.

He unbuttoned the jeans and struggled out of them, hopping all over the bathroom to get his foot out of the bottom of them. They're like chinese finger traps, inescapable. He ended up sitting on the edge of the bathtub and yanking them off. He slipped off the tight shirt and threw it with the jeans, kicking them to the corner ; he metaphorically spat at them, showing his distaste. Merlin looker good in them and he seemed comfy in them so why couldn't he?

He inspected himself in the mirror, already feeling better. He smiled now that he wasn't being constructed by society again, he felt all Arthur no anyone else. Merlin came in once again, blushing slightly as he did so at the sight of Arthur's bare body. He shoved the new clothes into Arthur's chest and waited for him to hold it before exiting the bathroom, closing the door carefully behind him.

Arthur struggled a little to change, not only from not wanting to in fear he wouldn't like it but also because they were literal mazes. He put the tshirt on inside out , then back to front before he finally did it right. The bottoms were much easier however getting his leg in the whole was proving difficult, he did it in the end. He looked at the shirt, the sleeves were rolled and he was careful not to mess that up, doesn't mean that he didn't though. Oh well, Merlin can always fix it later.

Now Arthur stood in some loose grey tracksuit bottoms, with a baggy black t-shirt and an unbuttoned red flannel shirt. He must admit that i was a solid look and he did look rather good but still nothing compared to his whole chainmail and cape thing he had going on. He deeply missed the presence of a sword by his side, Merlin says you can't walk around with a weapon anymore or you'll get banged up. Arthur thought this rule was stupid, what if there was a dangerous flesh eating creature?

He shoved his hand into his pockets, they went deep. He stroked at the inside texture, loving how fluffy it was. It was incredibly comforting, like petting a dog or perhaps a sheep.

He preferred this, it was loose and he felt free. The material was soft and comforting and it smelled like Merlin. Merlin was a major comfort to him , so this was a plus. Knowing that this was something Merlin would/has worn out makes it easier to feel less stupid.

I mean you must be able to understand it from his point of view, imagine all of a sudden you go to this place and you get told to wear an eccentric outfit or skin suit and the only reference you've got is that person. You'd feel stupid and you'd probably have anxiety about the situation.

Merlin knocked, thinking that Arthur must be done by now. A small muffled mhm from the inside translated to a strong come in. So come in he did, flinging the door open in a dramatic fashion and leaning against the frame casually.

Merlin practically drawled at the sight, he could never pull this off like Arthur did. That was skill, it fitted against his muscles in delightful ways whilst still being loose fitted and casual.

"You look great, mate."
Merlin helped get some shoes on Arthur, just some black air forces, he was feeling converse but didn't think that it fitted as well.
Arthur groaned a little at the feeling but overall they weren't too bad. He was just lucky that Merlin had worn them in or he'd be in crutches.

"How'd you feel?"
Merlin asked, positive that this was the one.
Arthur smiled at him, though his back was turned- it got caught in the reflection. He nodded his head gently as he spoke.
"I don't hate it."
Merlin clapped him round the back and pulled him out the front door, slapping his legs so he knew he had his keys, card and phone.

They went to go out to eat, nothing fancy just a Spoons. He figured it be the best to ease Arthur back into modern food, he couldn't cook Camelot food for ever...he wanted to eat too.

They walked, as you do. Save the planet and all that jazz. A load of people were checking them out, Arthur in particular. A couple girls whistled at him and Merlin got jealous, he glared at them and made a big show of grabbing Arthur's hand and interlocking their fingers. Some of the girls rolled their eyes and others said sorry. Arthur looked towards Merlin as he did this ,confused, in Camelot people would do this all the tome and Merlin would never react. I mean he was King then, now he's nobody to anyone but Merlin.

"Am i yours?"
Arthur asked, feeling a little bit owned.
"Yes."
Merlin growled back protectively, Arthur was not suspecting that one. He just silently nodded and carried on walking , now swinging their arms and bumping shoulders with Merlin. It didn't stop the looks or winks but at least it was clear that he wasn't available.

"I knew i shouldn't have let you wear those, girls love grey joggers."
Arthur cocked his head confused and looked down at them...o h. It all makes sense now.
"Probably not."