Chapter X ~ Are We Still Friends?

"I know what I saw." Wednesday said, she had called to speak with Beatrix about the case. She was claiming that Rowan, one of the more stranger kids of Nevermore had been the victim of the most recent attack.

"I know, it's just that, we saw him today." Bea said, she couldn't think of a way around it, either Wednesday was delusional or there was a third party involved in this somehow.

"Do you at least believe the monster is real." Wednesday sighed, Bea couldn't doubt it, there was no explanation behind these attacks.

"Of course." Bea said, her words were hardly reassuring to Wednesday, but she was just going to have to take it, this meant that Bea at least believed part of what she was saying.

"Do you know what this monster looked like?" Bea asked, she had no clue personally, no guesses really came to mind, she'd personally never seen it and therefore could not even picture something in her head.

"It didn't stick around to chat, I need to find proof." Wednesday said, Bea nodded and watched as the girl left abruptly, she was assuming that Wednesday would head back to Jericho, or the woods nearby.

Now that Bea was finished with that business, she could finally assist Enid in building her canoe for the Poe cup, she wasn't a big fan of their costumes, but it was better than clowns or golden bugs. 

Bea rushed through the somewhat empty halls of Nevermore Academy and clabbered through the stone steps until she reached the little stretch of land beside the school. Enid and the others had already begun decorating.

"Enid! I'm here!" Bea said, she had arrived shortly after Wednesday had. 

"Oh thank god." Enid said, she rushed over to Bea and grabbed a hold of her hands. "We cannot afford to lose, I will literally scratch my own eyes out if Bianca Barclay wins this thing again." Enid continued, she was very passionate about the event, and it seemed like she'd nearly convinced Wednesday to join the team.

"Please don't do that, your eyes are such a lovely color." Bea teased, she grabbed a paint brush and joined Yoko in designing the front part of the canoe, this was where the cats face would be located.

"I know, but i'll do something horrible if we lose." Enid sighed, that's why she was rather determined to win, or at least prevent Bianca from winning.

...

The day of the Poe cup had arrived, there was an ambush on the team meaning that Yoko was out and Wednesday was in, she was co captain, though she was fit enough to lead. She seemed to have ulterior motives for joining the team, she couldn't be doing just for Enid's sake alone.

"Where are your whiskers?" Enid asked, Wednesday shot the girl a dead look, Bea stood beside Enid and witnessed the whole ordeal.

"Watch it, or you'll be down to eight lives." Wednesday said, Bea laughed at the girls words, she enjoyed her cold hearted humor, and Enid clearly didn't take the words to heart.

"Well then, let's go." Enid said, all three girls walked quickly towards the canoe, Xavier was sending Wednesday glaring looks and Ajax wasn't paying much attention to Enid, causing the girl to frown.

"What were you and thing doing all night?" Bea asked.

"Ensuring our victory." Wednesday said cooly.

The three girls entered the canoe, their other teammate was waiting there already, Weems stood at the end of the dock with a pistol in hand to signal the start of the game. She stood tall and placed the gun high above her head, she gave the usual warning for the participants to take their marks.

"Go!"

All four boats sped off quickly, well as quickly as they could for canoes, they could only row. There was sounds of shock and squirming coming from one of the canoes, they eventually were submerged into a buoy.