CHAPTER 17

You sit outside, watching Mason and Justin play ball

The sky is dark, with fat grey clouds and you can feel that a storm is about to start soon.

Biting on your nails, you swing your legs back and forth in anticipation. For how long were you going to hide your darkest, dirty secret? It's already eating you up and you have to confide in someone soon, for the sake of your insanity.

Caitlyn was your best friend and you both share secrets all of the time.

Caitlyn plucks some flowers, before investigating each petal with her lips tight and eyebrows furrowed.

Just when you're about to speak, the hard soccer ball comes flying into your face. Stunned by what just happened, you stood up abruptly and lifted the ball in your hand, before lunging forward and hitting Mason in the abdomen.

He crouches and gasps. “Ouch,” he breathes out.

Shaking your head, you watch an old lady open the gate and enter the yard. She has her grey-streaked hair tied up in a bun before giving you a tight-lipped smile.

You all just stare at her. Who is this woman?

After minutes too long, Justin decides to introduce her.

“Oh, this is our maid, Mrs. Peterson. My mother must have called her in to clean up.“

She nods while walking past you, making her way to the house.

“Well, she's nice,” you mumbled under your breath.

Caitlyn laughed and gave you a high five.

The happiness only lasted a few minutes before sadness kicked in. You haven't seen The shape in a long time. Where was he? Did he forget about you? Your mind wandered to a dark place. This was your last day at Justin's house and then you would be back at your house.

Rolls of thunder broke free as fat drops of rain plummeted down. As everyone hurried to the door, you beat them to it and quickly ran to your room. Darkness settled in as well as disappointment, as your eyes wandered across your room. You thought that maybe he was here but he was not.

Missing him, you bent down on all fours and reached under the bed for a box that you had hidden there the day before.

Yesterday, while everyone was engaged in buying themselves some delights, you made an excuse and ran to the nearest designer. Hell, it took all of your savings but it was worth it.

Opening the rectangular-shaped box, you carefully unwrapped the gift and held it with both hands. It was a butcher knife, you held it by the immaculate wooden handle, the sharp blade glinting in the soft glow from the night lamp as you grazed your fingers along the edges. Captivated, you turned it around, examining the words that were carved beautifully into the blade.

It read. The Inevitable Michael Myers
And below that, your name was carved in a smaller font.

Be it selfishness or not. You added your name there so he would never forget you, but will always be reminded of you.

Think about the lives that he will certainly take with this blade.

While carefully settling it under the wrappers and setting it back under your bed, there was a knock at the door. Scrambling about, you jumped back onto the bed as if nothing happened.

“Come in!” you muttered while wetting your lips.

The door creaked open as Justin came in, leaning against the wall.

“Hey,” he greeted while combing through his hair with his fingers.

“Hi,” you hum.

“Can I sit next to you?”

You smile. “Yeah, sure.”

He walks towards you before his weight lands next to you.

“I'm gonna miss you,” he admits while staring at you.

Oh my God. This guy won't leave you alone! You're not going to Japan, for crying out loud!

“Oh,” you answer plainly.

For some reason, he comes closer, so close that his fingers brush your arm.

“I'm so sorry for that little scene in the club that day. I mean I shouldn't have tried to kiss you while I was drunk,” he explains.

Thank God! He was finally getting the picture.

You hang your head, relieved. “It's okay, Justin.”

“No. It's not. I shouldn't have kissed you when I was drunk. I should've kissed you when I was sober,” he adds making your head twist in his direction.

What?!

He leans in, almost grazing his lips against yours when you pushed him aside.

“What?” He inquires, confused.

Exhausted, you inhale a deep breath. “Listen. I don't think this is going to work out. Me and you I mean.”

“What, why?”

“Because…because,” you tried to find an excuse but nothing came out which made him nod his head, defeated.

He stands up abruptly. “There's someone else, isn't there?”

You raised your eyes. Guess you've been wasting your time crushing on this dildo.

“It's cool. It's okay. Just tell me when he breaks your heart. I'll be here.”

You stand up. “Uh, yeah. Sure.”

He taps you on your shoulders before walking out of your room.

Once he exited your room, you fell backward, sinking into the mattress. Well, that went well.

Yawning, you woke up to stretch your exhausted muscles and that's when you saw something on the floor.

Bending down, you lifted it in your hand, noticing that it was a silver hand chain.

Grunting, you had a little fit before walking out of your room. This probably belonged to Justin and now you had to go face him all over again.

Lord, have mercy!