18- Mick

After Charles told me what happened to Adrienne I didn't know what to say. I looked at Adri and she had her head buried into Charles' neck. She wouldn't look up. I felt helpless and I didn't know what to do. I wanted to ask Adrienne questions, but I also understand that I can't push her. I really want to pull her into my lap and cuddle her, but I know that right now what she needs most is her older brother. I just sat in my spot staring at the two. Charles kept rubbing her back and her hair. He had one of his hands on her head and one on her back. Watching them reminds me of how my sister and I are together, but somehow Charles and Adrienne are even closer than Gina and I are or ever were. Hearing Adrienne's story, and I have a feeling it was the short version, I can see just how much Adrienne needs him. Along with this I can also understand why Charles is so protective of her and always wants to know what's going on. It's not because he is controlling, but he doesn't want a repeat of her last relationship.

I think Charles told me this as a warning to me. It is a way of telling me that if I can't handle this story then I should leave now before she gets more attached. I now know that I also have to be extremely careful with my actions and understanding of her actions and thoughts. She isn't purposely the way she is, but has been conditioned to be this way. I can't imagine what Charles is going through. Snapping out of my thoughts I look at Charles and become more observant. I observed that he is holding back tears and is also struggling with this. While they were sitting on the couch together I heard Charles' phone ring. He looked at his phone and took a deep breath before picking up.

*Facetime call*

Charles: Hey Arthur what's up now's not a good time

Arthur: Have you heard from Adri she's not answering any of my texts

Charles: Yeah Arth she's with me, but she's not doing too well

Arthur: What do you mean? What's wrong?

Charles: We had just told Mick about Matt and her anxiety is still really high, She's cuddled up to me and playing with the rings on my hand

Arthur: Is she okay? Why didn't you call me before you did?

Charles: We didn't have time to do so. I had to keep her calm before telling Mick and then he came and we told him

Arthur: How did Mick take it

Mick: I took it as well as I could. I don't really know what to say, but I'll still be here for your sister no matter what

Arthur: Alright guys I got to go, but Adri I love you and you can call me if you need anything

*End of facetime call*

Once the call ended between Charles and Arthur Adrienne finally looked up at me. I could tell she was still terrified about my reaction. I didn't notice until now, but she is holding Charlotte's hand for comfort as well. Even with Charles hugging her and Adrienne holding Charlotte's hand Adrienne still tries to get closer to Charles, but there isn't any more space between them. Once she feels safe enough and Charles has his arms around her in a tight hug she finally looks at me and quietly speaks "I understand if you want to break up with me. I'm broken and used so I won't hold this against you if you do." I was shocked, but I quickly spoke saying "No Adri you're not broken. I won't leave you. What you went through wasn't your fault, it was his fault." After I reassured her that I wouldn't be leaving her she launches herself at me and wraps her arms around her neck. I was shocked and unprepared so I stumbled a little bit, but caught my balance. I sat down next to Charles on the free chair just so he also can have the calming aspect of having Adrienne in his view. While Adri was in my lap I rubbed her back up and down while talking to Charles and Charlotte. After doing this for five minutes I heard her soft and steady breath. I looked down and noticed that she was asleep. I looked at Charles and whispered "she passed out. She must be emotionally and mentally exhausted after retelling all her trauma. I'm going to bring her back up to her room so she can sleep comfortably."