Chapter 16

November 21st, 2021

It's been a couple days since Oliver and I got back to New York and I've completely thrown myself back into work.

I've been leaving the house at 7:30 in the morning and not getting home until 8 at night. Sometimes I work best when I'm stressed out because I only allow myself to focus on work.

I haven't seen Asher at all since I've been back, we've both been putting it off because of work, but tonight we're going to see each other.

And I know I have to break things off with him.

I haven't spoken to Harry since we left early Thursday morning either. Oliver and him have been doing their calls when Oliver is with Maggie.

I do think it's better we take a little bit of time apart so I can really just focus on making the best decision for myself and my son.

I hear a knock on my front door and get up to answer it. I look in the peephole and see my best friend.

I swing the door open and pull her into my arms. "Oh Char" She says and throws her arms around me.

I bring her over to the couch and we both sit "I missed you"

"Are you still working? It's Sunday night!" She asks, looking at my open laptop next to me on the couch.

I nod "I know, but I've taken so much time off of work. I need to catch up"

"All you've been doing since you've gotten back is work Charlie"

I shrug "it's only been a couple of days, people depend on me"

"I just want to make sure you're taking time for yourself"

I nod slowly "Thank you for coming and watching him tonight, I really appreciate you"

"Of course, you gotta do what you gotta do"

I groan "I know, but I'm so nervous" I say falling into the couch.

Her eyes move over to my ring finger "I see you're wearing the ring"

I nod "yeah, I've been trying to wear it to see if it feels right and surprise surprise, every time I see it I want to throw it"

"I think you're making the right decision bestie girl"

"Okay, so Oliver has had a bath already and dinner, he's playing with his toys right now. And I told him if you're okay with it he can stay up to watch a movie, but only one"

"Yes ma'am" she says and salutes at me causing me to giggle.

I feel my phone start to buzz next to me on the couch and my heart drops until I turn it over and 'Harry' is flashing across the screen. Still nerve wracking, but not as bad.

"Oliver!" I call as I swipe to answer the FaceTime.

"Wow, look who it is" I hear his British voice come out of my phone.

"Yeah yeah, I've been busy. Do you have a show tonight?"

He shakes his head. "No I'm in the studio, I have a tiny break. I was going to come visit- but, I think it's best if I wait"

I nod "Yeah I think so too, let me grab Oliver so you can talk to him" I walk over to Oliver's room and he's playing with his little train set. When he hears me enter his room his little head snaps towards me "Bubba, daddy is on the phone. Do you wanna talk to him?"

His little eyes widen and he gets the biggest dimply smile on his face that matches his dad "daddy!" He yells as he jumps up and takes the phone out of my hand. I giggle and then walk out of the room. "I need to put my clothes on really quickly" I tell Lauren as I pass by her and go into my room.