Chapter 1

In red souls swim. Covered in that colour we take our first breath and make our first step on our slow journey towards death. Meant to see the end, we are born. Meant to suffer through it all just to call it life at the end.

She wondered why people wanted blood so much when we are already so full of it. Was it a mere longing for their origin, the need to find themselves covered in someone's else blood once more? Or were they just merciful souls that ended the journey of others, and made them meet their death a bit sooner than the fates could have planned?

If anyone was to claim the latter before her eyes, she most likely would have the desire to smash the head of that person for she couldn't accept anyone that takes the life of an innocent being as someone merciful. In her eyes, such people were nothing but monsters. Monsters that flashed before her eyes, every time she was to lay her eyes on the colour red. Yet here she was, looking...staring.

Amidst the red, the flames burn. Amidst the warmth of bodies, scarlet passions ignite. A colour so intense that it paints hearts, lives and memories. As beautiful as it can be a nightmare.

And the roses below her balcony had ceased to be a mere sight, just because they were red. And red was the colour that dominated her existence.

From the day she was born and every breath she took until her twenty-third year, red dripped into her memories, like water. Like poison.

And yet she always found herself dressed in clothes that suited her hated red colour. She always found herself wearing black. Always a life was lost, leaving behind red and leaving her along with the rest of her family, dressed in black.

"Why are you chasing me? Really... no matter how beautiful you are, I'm sick of seeing you" The young lady with her dark brown hair covering her face uttered while she looked down at the roses. Speaking to them despite the fact that the beautiful flower was unable to answer. But even though she knew that she would never get a response, she always found herself talking to the roses.

"Your fragrance is heavenly and you look regal but you are so dangerous. Those thorns of yours have torn my flesh. They have torn...my heart." She continued with a pained expression on her face and two tear-filled eyes behind her glasses.

"Serenity! Serenity~ they're asking for you!" A voice managed to reach her, making her tuck a loose curl behind her ear and look to the other side of the balcony, where the face of the middle-aged woman who addressed her and brought her into the world, fell into her field of vision.

"They are asking for me?-Who?" Serenity questioned, not expecting anyone to come to pay her a visit on a Saturday morning as it was.

"It's Sister Veta. She said that she came to bring you a sketch you asked for," Her mother informed her, and Serenity hurried out of her room, down the stairs, and out of her house, with a rhymical pace, reaching up to the gate of her big house, where she could make out from afar the face of the young nun who was also the only person she considered her friend after the death of her dear cousin.

If there was a reason that Serenity hadn't long ago uprooted those red roses from under her bedroom balcony, it was because of the fact that those flowers reminded her of Dana. That's how she was in her eyes, unique, special, lovable and good-natured as long as no one pushed her to use her thorns.

But like all beautiful things, someone took Dana's life. Someone reached out and took her from her, leaving her red blood behind.

"Veta~" She smiled as she called out the young nun's name and she turned to her side and faced her with a worried expression that froze Serenity's excitement as well as her footsteps which barely made it to the gate bars.

"Serenity, come quick," Sister Veta told her before grabbing her arm and pulling her some steps further outside of her gate, in search of some security and privacy.

Sister Veta grabbed her arms and looked into her eyes, now making Serenity feel like she wanted to run away. She knew very well, after all, what news such a look could bring her. And she certainly didn't want to hear anything of the sort.

She didn't want any more trouble. She wanted no other longing. And yet unfortunately just because she was born into this family, she was cursed to live in longing.

'Kang' the surname on her back. A family feuding with the equally powerful 'Kim' family. A feud that has been going on for 40 years and won't stop. A vendetta that had stained her life.

"Go catch up with your father at the port. Do what you can to not let him pass by the centre of the village today." Sister Veta told her and although a question rose inside her, Serenity hesitated to ask for the reason she was making such a request.

"Taehyung has organized a party to celebrate... the release of his cousin, Jungkook." Sister Veta went on to solve her wonder on her own, with obvious doubt if this was the right time or even if this was the right way to bring her this big news.

And judging by the look on Serenity's face, it probably wasn't. The colour of her skin left her in a split second. Her expression of fear washed away and left nothing but a void in her eyes however it did not take long for her blank canvas to get filled with obvious hatred and rage.

"He was released?? So fast?!! He killed a human! He took my Dana away from me! And they're giving him freedom?!" Serenity yelled. A scream filled with pain and anguish that she was trying to suppress under her clenched fists and gritted teeth.

Where was the justice? Her best friend and cousin had died. They had taken her soul so painfully that they had only found pieces of flesh of her body scattered around the forest. Dana was no longer alive and this monster that took her life was free again to live his life and enjoy his youth. This psychopathic killer named Jungkook for whom they are rejoicing.

His very existence was a curse! It was a mistake of nature. But again this cad named Kim Taehyung, brought earth and heaven to free him. Despite knowing that he was guilty of murder, he had taken his cousin's side and along with his family, they had lived waiting for his freedom. As always Taehyung did actions that so simply could move the hatred that Serenity held towards them.

"Serenity, calm down. I know it's hard but your father and uncle better not find out too soon. Otherwise, blood will be spilt again. Is that what you want?" Sister Veta tried to reason with her, and for a few minutes when Serenity fell into silence, she thought she had succeeded.

"I will help you not to fill this night's moon red under one condition only," Serenity uttered with an extremely determined gaze.

"Serenity-"

"Find me a way into this party. Give me a moment alone with the killer."

"Serenity!" Sister Veta raised her voice, now irritated at her behaviour and the fact that she had let her hatred get the better of her.

A girl as pure as Serenity used to be. A girl who was against this long-standing vendetta had changed so much since meeting the red colour of the blood of a very loved person.

"Either his blood will be spilt alone tonight. Or I'll let my father know and let the whole centre of the village be dyed red." She spoke her final words and as Sister Veta looked into her eyes, she knew she had no choice but to give in.

She let a heavy breath escape her lips before reaching over her arms and taking Serenity into her embrace. She caressed her back as she whispered to her to calm down, then proceeded to speak claims of understanding and comfort, while behind Serenity's back, on the young nun's lips, a small smile had surfaced.

---To be continued...