Chapter 7

Under the wooden small bridge with the sound of the water running under it, Dana found herself seated at a rock she had not occupied for three years now. The smell of the air under the Platanus trees and the feeling of the slight wind that even in the hottest season never left. So many small things that she carried memories with good and not.

Her deep green orbs travelled around the place under her dark glasses and a smile of joy raised on her lips that were hidden under her scarf. The black hat on her head and the wig she had worn to cover her dark locks, had made her momentarily feel the urge to break free for in this place she had always felt like she could be herself.

Dana had first stepped into this place near the monastery when she was ten, while she and her cousin Serenity were playing around. Chasing one another among waves of laughter Serenity had slipped and fallen over that small wooden bridge, ending up shedding some tears as she had gained a wound in her leg.

Back then Dana recalled how worried she was and how no matter how much she had tried, she was unable to carry her all the way back to the monastery where their parents were. Still, thankfully a boy had appeared and helped her to carry her cousin to the main gate of the monastery. 

A boy their age which she had never seen until that day. A child just like she and Serenity were and one that helped them at that, yet once Serenity's mother had seen him, she had slapped the kid so hard, that the image was engraved in Dana's mind for a long long time.

For her then-young self, it was difficult to understand why he was treated like a threat and why they shooed him away so rudely but once they had reached home, their parents had gathered and informed them well about the situation that existed between their family and the Kims. A vendetta that had sounded like a bad fairytale to the minds of their young selves, but unfortunately she grew up enough to understand that it was not a fairytale at all and it certainly was worse than bad.

Taehyung had tried his best to never cross paths with them never again after that as most likely he too must have gotten a talk about it and Dana had gotten to appreciate his tries regarding that for she too inside was wishing to avoid conflict.

But wishes don't always come true and she withered waiting for them too. All her years had passed in crying for the deaths of loved ones while simultaneously agonising over the fact that she had to hate the Kims for their doings but she couldn't. She considered murder wrong but that went both sides for she felt the same bitterness when her family was to kill one of theirs. In Dana's eyes there never seemed to be any victory no matter who was to get blood back from who and as she started getting older, the fact that only she was seeing that, had started frustrating her.

It had started making her get filled with anger towards both sides. Why none were thinking about them? Why none were thinking about the burden they are handing to the next generation? Why did this even have to be continued? In her eyes, there had been shed enough blood to pay any disrespect and sin ever committed to any side. 

No matter how many times she had lost her cool and had expressed her opinion, her family had deemed her as soft, ignorant even for how could she speak about peace when so many people had shed their blood. So many souls were seeking justice yet she dared speak of putting the past behind. The more they had deemed her as ungrateful and disrespectful, the more they had dismissed her words as nonsense, the more rage they had built within Dana's soul.

The one who once could not hate soon grew to hate both sides.

She could not be heard nor she could be understood hence after years she found herself taking shelter in the silent places of nature. In the ones where she could see the peace, she was longing for even if it wouldn't last.