Chapter 14

Jimin rubbed his sweaty palms as he was still contemplating if what he had agreed on was truly the right decision. Maybe he fell into the trap of his curiosity and claimed to be certain that he wanted to know what Veta's mission was, despite the risk.

"Take a seat." She instructed him before she proceeded to look over her shelves and pull out a file that she brought on the small desk and laid it open, without a split hesitation.

"They are all murder cases of people gone missing without a trace. The radius of the areas where human teeth have been found are pretty scattered but they all have something in common." Veta's words were accompanying his vision as he was scanning through the files, with disturbing thoughts for there lay a lot of cruelty in those pages.

"Sickening...And a bit ironic cause you have to deal with such things as a special forces agent yet you left the army for some peaceful days." Jimin commented while still not taking his eyes off the pictures and the information about the victims.

"My fate has it to revolve around death, I suppose." Veta shrugged her shoulders nonchalantly for even while living in the monastery, she had the graveyard at some steps distance.

Death was something that she could not shake off her shoulders no matter how much she tried. And there were days she could not even imagine herself not being surrounded by it.

She was a child that made her first footsteps in an army camp. Her mother had died at childbirth and her father was too passionate about his job, to leave it behind and raise her. So he had taken her with him.

Like every parent, her father too had taught her many things. From an early age, dressed in her small uniform she had to take part in training and observed things that maybe weren't the healthiest for a child. She was moulded into the perfect soldier that knew nothing but to follow orders and do everything for the country.

However, the first time she was sent to a real battlefield and fired her weapon was the only time she understood truly the real weight of being a soldier. The price of being a hero for your people often requested of her to sacrifice her emotions. Despite the torture her consciousness withstood, she had stayed true to who she was supposed to be. A true soldier that her father will always be proud of.

A validation she had hung her whole existence around until the day came, that the truth caught up to her. She had sacrificed so much to reach where she was and have that glorious title of a sergeant yet that was all she could use to identify herself.

She was a sergeant. Someone's daughter. Someone her superiors could entrust with anything no matter how hard and she would see it through. Someone her underlings could count on never leaving their lives to go in vain. Yet when it came to herself, she saw the emptiness in the mirror, smeared with blood.

Was she to herself all the things she was to everyone else? Was she a cold calculating machine that didn't care and would use any means to obtain victory? Her actions could prove her as such for by such behaviour she had gained all her career success in life. But even though she could not imagine how she would have been, if she had grown any different, she knew, that she cared.

Veta had left the military despite her father's protest and had joined the special forces as part of the intelligent team section. A cleaner life, away from the front line, she had thought yet some years down the line, she was presented with this mission.

"All these human teeth that we are considering as the only remainings found of the missing people are discovered at cities that have access to the port," Jimin uttered his observation as he assumed that to be the common thing she talked about.

"The teeth are always found in scattered places. We have yet to find the actual place where the murders take place and where the rest of the body parts could have ended up to."