Chapter 6

The rays of light break through every veil of darkness yet for as long as there's light shadow will exist and among those shadows hide the heartbroken. They live in daylight while sinking in the void that exists within them. Their souls, a shade darker than the shadow that's sheltering them, none to ever notice.

Stilled in her place she remained, observing the villagers that seemed to be enjoying their day in the warmth of the sun. Greeting each other lively and cheerfully before they would halt their steps briefly for a quick catch-up. Just like most would do with her too once she was to walk down that small hill she was standing and make her presence noticeable by merging herself with the people of the village.

Veta mostly smiles and interacts perfectly well with all yet every morning that she held her horses on that small hill she felt the wave of reality slap against her face.

She was not one of them and this place was not where she belongs. Those people did not care for her just like none else ever did and their politeness and respect toward her were nothing more than temporary. Just like her existence was all together.

As her daydreaming hopes once again washed off of her chest, Veta took a deep breath and started walking down the hill, having as a companion the vibration of her phone that once again had been going off and she had been ignoring it.

She was aware that at this point she was playing with her life for she had dragged her delay way too long but at the same time she just didn't feel ready to have any more trouble in her head.

Having Jungbook out of prison and being unable to find a way to send him to Dana was more than enough of an issue to brainstorm over. To not mention the risk that Jungbook himself carried for her, for just like towards anyone else, with him too, she had not managed to be completely truthful.

" There was a moment in which I thought that you could have lost your phone or something. Turns out you are just avoiding me as per usual." A voice brought her steps to an abrupt half just like her heartbeat did, for Veta instantly recognized his voice.

" Jimin. What are you doing here?" She threw her eyes to the side quickly, only to take in his nonchalant figure leaning against a tree.

" That's what I was calling to tell you but you never pick up that damn phone. " Jimin smiled even though his words had carried his frustration over that act of hers.

Veta harried to approach him and to make sure that no one was witnessing this meeting of theirs, she grabbed his arm and pulled him back a few feet, enough for their figures to not be visible on top of the hill if anyone was to look in that direction.

" You should have been looking after Dana. Why did you leave your post?" Sister Veta looked worriedly at him and Jimin rolled his eyes at her before he got his phone out of his pocket and opened his gallery for her to see that he had not abandoned his position.

" I have been guarding her for years and looking after her as per your request. You told me that no matter what she could never return to this village but she fled from our apartment and just yesterday reached the port of the city. I am sure she must have come here." Jimin proceeded to fill her in on the things that had occurred out of a sudden while Veta was scrolling down the sneaky pictures one of Jimin's wen had sent to him. Pictures that depicted camouflaged Dana departing from the ship.

" You mean that you lost sight of her? You don't know where she is?" Veta looked at him petrified as the world was being threatened to be flipped at that moment.

" I was hoping that she would come to find you.  It's not like she can reveal herself to anyone else around here. Only you know she is still alive." Jimin reasoned while Veta's eyes grew wider at the realization.

" Jungkook. She went to find Jungbook. Shit! No! No! We need to find her and quickly. Hurry! " She yelled at him before she started running in an unknown direction to Jimin but he followed after her anyways.

" I don't understand. Why is it such a bad thing for them to meet? They made all this conspiracy just so they could be together. She faked her death and waited for him for three years to quit his journey of becoming a priest. You were the one that told me that he was done and would come to find her soon." Jimin uttered his wonder while the two were running like crazy among trees and narrow earthly paths.

" And you went ahead and told her that?" She gave him a quick glare making Jimin feel wronged momentarily.

" I just wanted to reassure her, you know. She has been waiting for him for so long. Do you even know how many nights she has stayed sleepless wondering if that man was fooling her or not? He went no contact for three whole years." He argued, making Veta halt her steps and turned to face him.

" Of course, he wouldn't be able to be in contact. He was in prison! " Veta snapped at him and the shock on Jimin's face was instant to appear.

" What the heck did a priest in training do to get locked up?"

" It's a lie Jimin. He never was a seminarian. He is part of the Kim family. His and Dara's families have been in a Vendetta for ages."She paused to inhale a breath "Jungkook knew that he would never have a chance with her if Dana was ever to know who he really was so he asked for my help. He was pretending to be a seminarian in his studying journey and was staying at the monastery with me since I am the only supposed noviciate around and there are plenty of empty rooms."

"What the heck? How did Dana even believe all that? Had she not seen him before?" 

"It's a long story but Jungkook was a precious son to his family and they hid him away most of his life to save him from the vendetta. He was raised away from here and returned as a supposed seminarian for cover. Things went south though and instead of him doing what his family was raising him for, he ended up falling in love with Dana." Veta rashly filled Jimin's wonder right before the two started pacing again quickly.

"What a mess"

 "And it doesn't even end there...I covered them up and helped them but each one thinks I did it for different reasons. If she meets him now, she will find out the truth and will think everything was a lie. Don't you understand?" Veta allowed him to see her despair and Jimin fell quiet as he needed his moment to process the whole information he just heard.

In all his years of life as a man that was part of the special forces, he had never heard something so reasonable yet complicated at the same time. So complete of an explanation yet one that simultaneously made a thousand more questions rise in his mind.

However, even though he knew that this was not the time nor the place to be asking any of them, some specific wonders couldn't help but escape his plump full lips again.

" Why are you exactly involved in all this Veta? Why would you help any of them? Do they have anything to do with your secret mission?" Just like he had guessed, bringing that topic up, made Veta tense briefly enough for him to catch on to it, while she just kept her tongue and speed up her pace, allowing him to make his own conclusions.

In all the years that I know you, you have never been more of a mystery to me than after you received this mission, Sergeant Veta. 

--- To be continued...