𓍯five

Deaf Library Student x Popular Kid
Nigel x Evan
***

"So...you'd rather spend Thanksgiving at a friends house then at your own?"

Evan looked at his dad, his arms folded as he looked at him. Only to look over at Nigel who stood beside him. His eyes were set on his dad and he already knew that he didn't want to miss anything.

"Yeah, I do. You guys don't even cook anything anyway, and I'm certain Nigel's family cooks their food themselves." Evan tells them confidently, grinning confidently only for it to drop. "I just don't want to be here, okay? Nigel works with me in the library and I just want a change of pace-."

"Oh! You work with my son in the library?" Evan's dad interrupted him immediately, waiting for him to respond.

"Yes I do."

"You don't look like someone who'd work in a library."

Nigel frowned at such a thing, causing Evan to sigh in irritation. Except at least he knew him and others weren't just thinking crazily. Nigel really didn't look like he should be working in the library.

Maybe if he saw him in those other clothes, he'd say otherwise.

"Well, I'm not lying. I have no reason to lie, especially about something as trivial as that. He will just be at my house for Thanksgiving, and we won't be doing anything besides learn sign language." Nigel tells him, causing Evan's dad to snort.

"Why does Evan need to learn sign? He's not deaf."

"You don't need to be deaf to learn or know sign." Nigel spoke up quickly, looking at him disapprovingly. "I am deaf, actually."

Evan flinched when his dad chuckled, patting Nigel's shoulder who just looked at him calmly. Didn't even look bothered as he kept his composure.

"Sure you are. Aren't you a little too old to be lying about something such as that?"

"I don't think so, because I'm not lying." Nigel said with more irritation clearly heard in his voice. Now Evan's dad just looked at him as if there was going to be some joke said. When there wasn't, he cleared his throat.

Evan was very embarrassed now as to how his dad could behave this way at this point. Because who would lie about being deaf?

"Dad you're ridiculous." Evan hissed at him, causing him to roll his eyes. "Nigel, let's go."

Nigel turned now, and he ended up going towards the door first. Evan following behind him as now they were just going to walk to his house. That meant an extra thirty minutes to add to a walk they barely had a ten minute break from.

As they began to walk to Nigel's house, Evan wondered if he should try to excuse his father's actions. Except he didn't really want to come up with an excuse for him. He always embarrassed him, and today he embarrassed himself on his own accord.

Even assuming that Nigel wasn't deaf based off how he looked. Now...Evan began to wonder how he became deaf in the first place.

He grabbed Nigel's arm, and that caused him to look down at him. The both of them stopped walking momentarily as Nigel waited for him to speak. With their silence and Evan staring, he began to feel bad about asking.

His hand went to his own ears, and Nigel saw him do such a thing. Evan pulling his hands from his ears as his lips tightened together.

"I can't imagine what it would be like to lose my hearing... Say if I was born without it, I probably wouldn't care all that much. Except I can't even say...right?" Evan found himself asking, seeing Nigel shrug. "So you were born with your hearing?"