Arc One - Not her fault

Upon reaching back to the tavern both of them sensed something unusual in their room. Zhou Zishu didn't waste any time before jumping back through his windows only to find his room filled with quietness.

His pupils contracted, there was no sign of Zhang chengling, without thinking anything else he just ran out to look for him. While Wen Kexing went out in search of him.

Even though Zhou Zishu didn't say it out, it was evident from his behaviour that he treated Zhang Chengling like his own son. He doesn't want to lose him like he lost Liang Jiuxiao.

His thoughts came to a standstill when he saw Zhang Chengling with Mei. He froze at that spot and kept staring at him. His concern soon changed to anger.

"What are you doing here—didn't we say to stay in the room?"

"Shifu.. when I woke up, you weren't around; I was alone in the room and got scared."

"Scared to roam around? Yo-"
His anger ceased as a warm hand landed on his back to gently rub it.
"Ah-xu, it's fine; he's all right."
Wen Kexing then approached Zhang Chengling. "You shouldn't roam around, kid; don't you know it's dangerous?"

"I'm sorry, senior."

Zhou Zishu sighed. "We are going."

Zhang Chengling became happy because he thought they were finally getting out of this village. "Shifu, where are we going next?"

"For a witch hunt."

"What!"

Zhou Zishu looked at him and lifted his brows.
"Do you have any problems?"

"No no!! We should go," he said, then turned around to tell Mei, "We are leaving; take care."

Wen Kexing was totally impressed with this side of Zhang Chengling and thus thought he should help them a little. He moved forward and asked, "Is this young lady willing to join us on our journey?"

Mei's rather sad face was illuminated, and with all smiles she said, "Yes! Yes! Senior, I promise I won't be a burden. I know this village very well. I can guide you."

Four of them decided to go back to the lake to find any clues. Zhang Chengling and Mei were ahead, with the other two behind them.

"They look good together, don't you think?"

"Who? Little Tyke and Mei? Where did you get that idea from?"

Wen Kexing dramatically shook his head in disbelief: "Don't tell me you haven't noticed."

Zhou Zishu only tilted his head in more confusion.

"Ah-xu, She blushes every time when she's with little tyke."

"Blushes?"

Wen Kexing clicked his tongue and said, "God knows what Tian Chuang teaches its disciples, when someone is in love, they blush a lot." Then he turns to Zhou Zishu and whispers in his ear, "You know you blush a lot too."

"What?"

Wen Kexing exclaimed with glee "Yes! Every time I do y-" a blow landed on his gut, rendering him unable to finish his sentence; he knelt in pain and only uttered, with difficulty, "Mariticide."

After witnessing this scene, Mei became very concerned. "Are you okay, Senior?"
Only then did Zhang Chengling reassure her that it's normal.

.
.
.
.

The night was cold and eerie; the sound of leaves crunching beneath their feet created an ideal environment for Wen Kexing, who lowered his voice and tried to get everyone's attention.

"I remember hearing a story about a villager carrying a bowl full of red water."

All three of them looked at him, and it didn't take long for Zhou Zishu to leave Wen Kexing behind. There was no way in hell he'd listen to this story again, for god's sake, he had heard it thousands of times; it was the same with Zhang Chengling, this senior of his, for God knows how long have been stuck on the same story, so he ran after his shifu.

Wen Kexing was particularly in the mood, he didn't mind them leaving as he looked at Mei, who only asked in amazement, "How did water turn red, senior?"

Zhou Zishu slowed his pace as he noticed Zhang Chengling approaching.

"Shifu"

"Hmmm"

"I've been thinking.... About Liu."

"What about her?"

"It was horrible what people did to her. She was such a learned woman while she was living. Now she has become a.... Can't she just stop?"

Zhou Zishu brought his hand up and rested it on Zhang Chengling's head. "This world is not fair, kid; I bet she didn't want to become what she is now. People pushed her to the point where she forgot that she's human too and embraced the fact that she is indeed a witch; she's just broken; what can you expect? Even the person she loved the most turned away. It's heartbreaking."

Wen Kexing stood there dazed for a moment, staring at Zhou Zishu's back. His qinggong had advanced to the point where he could hear anything from afar; "It's not her fault, people just pushed her to the point where she forgot that she's a human too." he murmured what Zhou Zishu had just said. His eyes softened, and he simply stared at his back.

Mei noticed the expression on Wen Kexing's face; it was one of deep admiration and love for the man in front of him. Mei was an orphan, there was no one to look after her and everyone treated her like shit,
'It's true, it wasn't Liu's fault; it was of people,' she thought.

They all reached the forest and found the ground beside the river moist. Zhou Zishu knelt down to inspect the grass, which was crushed, like something heavy had been put on it. "There must be more than two people entering the lake; bringing a coffin up and concealing Madam Jiayi's body cannot be accomplished by a man and a woman alone. This ground is still wet; someone must have gone inside not too long ago."

"Why would someone go inside?" Zhang Chengling asked.

"I guess we are not the only ones looking for that dagger."

"But... why would someone risk their life for it?"

Zhou Zishu sighed, "Who knows?" and then turned to Mei.

"Little Mei I bet many people from other places come to this village because of the festival. Was there anything unusual you noticed at your tavern? Anything suspicious, such as people getting drunk and babbling strange things."

"I don't recall anything specific, but brother Zhou, are you sure the grave diggers are still around?"

"I doubt Liu would leave them alive with two people dead; they must be scared and hiding somewhere."

"This village is small; hiding that much gold would be difficult." Zhang Chengling stated.

"It's not that difficult."

"Shifu, do you know where they're hiding?"

"Kid, where is the safest spot to hide when a ghost is out to kill you?"

_______________________

I will be back with a new chapter soon till then take care ✨