one - a drama in the futile

It's the last week of summer break yet Tommy still did not apply for a new school term in the public school he used to go to. Laying on his bed and staring mindlessly on his bedroom's roof, he wants to drop out of school. Besides, it'll just add more expenses on his Aunt Clara's shoulder. He can not only lessen their expenses, he can also help pay them all by working! Now that's a brilliant idea. If only his Aunt Clara would agree with his decisions.

"Tommy!" Sighing, the teenager answered, "Yes, Aunt Clara?"

"Set the table for me please, dear!" She replied, yelling across their small cabin that they live in

"Coming!" He begrudgingly answered. At the back of his mind, he has been sprouting complaints at the elder for making him do a chore at the middle of his break.

Tomathy Kraken, nephew of Clarita "Clara" Kraken, is an orphan that's living under his aunt's roof and guardianship. He doesn't remember his parents that well, only remembering that car accident that took his parent's life. Nevertheless, he's not that affected. He was a child that barely knew alphabets when that accident took place, who would expect him to remember their parents? Still, he wishes they're still alive or still here. Seeing those children with parents makes him envious and feels like an outcast.

Currently setting the table, he is grateful Clara is willingly there for him. Clara who willingly gave him food, who provided him shelter and loved him unconditionally like he's her biological son despite her struggle financially and her position as a commoner, makes him feel loved and appreciated despite his situation as an orphan. He's glad that he's not in those orphanages that are rumored to be abusive and makes his skin crawl in fear.

"Tommy? What's wrong, dear?" he looked at the red-haired woman as she dried her hands with her apron, its strings tied around her waist

"Nothing, Aunt Clara" Tommy smiled, "Oh! By the way, what's for lunch?"

The woman in front of him smiled, "Well— since it's your birthday, I've managed to save up for a steak and cake for this special day of yours!"

Tommy gasps, "A steak?! Aunt Clara, that's expensive! You don't have to do that for me and also buy a cake for me too? It's too expensive. It will only just adds up to our expenses"

She chuckled in response, "Oh dear, today is your 16th birthday! We should celebrate and even if we have these financial struggles, we could only celebrate this event once! Besides, you deserve it, Tommy"

"Bu—" Tommy, who's about to argue even further, got stopped by Clara when she shot her the look, "Tommy, don't you dare argue with me. You're our birthday boy, and you deserve to celebrate your 16th birthday. Now sit down and enjoy this lunch"

Tommy's expression softened as he followed his aunt's orders, "Yes, auntie. Thank you so much"

The woman smiled gently, "No problem. Now, let's eat!" she said excitingly which made both of them laugh.

-

"Tom?" Tommy hesitantly turned his head around as he continued washing the dishes. Clara is seen reading the village's local newspaper, shaking her head as she reads a sentence that upsets her. The blonde observed the red-haired intently and gulped when she turned her head towards him, "have you already prepared for school? School is starting next week"

"Uh— yeah, about that- uhm" Tommy turned the faucet off with slightly shaking hands, a forced smile plastered on his face. "I've decided to—"

"Oh! Look at this" Clara eagerly faced the newspaper in his view, bold letters of the header can be read distance away.

-

Elite School, Blackthorne Academia Offers A Single Premium Scholarship To The Citizens of L'manburg!
Written by : Tristan Arrow