1

The moon was high in the night sky, under its blue glow walked a weary traveler cloaked almost entirely in a dark coloured coat and hood. It masked his whole form and concealed any clue on who this traveler could be.

Upon his shoulder sat a brown pine martin that nuzzled so far into the crook of his neck, she too was almost covered with the cloak.

The traveler walked calmly, never stumbling or straying from the path he followed despite his closed eyes. Most strangely in fact was despite being closed his eyes moved under his eyelids. And strangest of all, under the thin skin the slight glow of his iris was still visible.

"I dúr na echor, i peth na coe... Ha's Firn (the earth is dark, the ground is cold... It's dead)" he muttered under his breath, as in response to his ramblings the pine martin shifted on his shoulder. Her eyes wearily roamed around, ears back and alert.

Suddenly the traveler stopped midstride and his eyes snapped open, both his iris and sclera blue and fierce. At the sudden stop, the pine martin juddered and tipped from his shoulder down to his outstretched hands that had obviously been waiting for the fall he had foreseen.

In clear distress, the traveler placed his friend to the floor so she could scamper alongside him.

'Where does one find a horse' the traveler thought closing his eyes once more. Beneath his eyelids, his irises twitched more rapidly this time as he searched. Beside him, Callon played merrily in the underbrush unawares to her master's strife.

"N-legin Callon (be swift Callon)" he called, the pine martin returned to his shoulder using her claws to drag herself up, leaving pulls in the fabric of his cloak, "Mín a siniath destin (we have a new destination)"

---------------------------------

The horse indeed found by the weary traveler was swift, it carried him to his destination within the day.

It was cold, the brush crashed around him but he was unaware. He had seen the man loved by the girl he considered a younger sister fighting nazgûl. This vision was only of hours in the future, past now. But the aftermath of the ring bearers injury was what he would deal with.

The ring bearer's death is one future this weary traveler must prevent.

His horse slowed as it sensed others' presence, Callon tugged at his hood, letting him know there was noise to his left. He spotted his almost brother-in-law among the brush, just where he had expected him to be.

Dismounting his horse he walked calmly to him, unsurprisingly he was unnoticed until the placed a dagger to his brother-in-law's chin.

"Remin nin, which er -o ammen na- i ú-Vedui er? (remind me, which of us is the deaf one?)" he jests gently, not waiting for his brother-in-law's reply before sheathing his dagger and turning to where he knows the ring bearer is.

Walking into the clearing he sees the hobbits start but is too preoccupied to read their lips. He merely lifts the ring bearer onto his bony shoulder and began to secure him to the horse...

To be continued