2

as Ithil had promised, they had reached the gap of rohan just as dawn broke out red and gleaming over the starless sky.

From the corner of his vision he saw Legolas pause to look up at the crimson sky

"a red sun rises. Blood has been
spilled this night." the blonde elf announced, dread in his voice. It was a bad omen but Ithil was certain if something truly bad had happened, surely he would if had a vision about it.

His chest ached strangely as the thought entered his mind but he brushed it off, just an effect of his healing wound. Afterall an arrow to the chest was not something you could just shake off.

Suddenly Callon's tiny paws dug into his shoulder with surprising power, alerting him to the fact the party had started moving again. He followed suit quickly, brushing off any aprehension still lingering in his mind.

They walked for only a few more minutes when the footfall of many horses alerted them too their approaching company

Aragorn looked up warily, gesturing for the fellowship to duck behind a nearby rock formation to hide

The horses approached rapidly, one moment only tiny spots on the horizon, the next the horses strong lean bodies swarmed them on all flanks, they bore the colours of Rohan.

Rohan, the kingdom of horses, was not a place Ithil frequently visited, but he had been there in centurys past. However that was when Fengel had ruled in 2970 (third age)

He had once known every king of men, being the adoptive son of lord elrond as well as his foresight made him a valuable allie, and once he had used it too his advantage. after all wandering for century on end meant he had great knowledge of the land itself, so why not acquaint hinself with their inhabitants.

but that was a great many years ago, before Gondor's line of kings failed (He was not intrested in an alliance with Gondor until the rightful king sat back upon the white citys throne.) and Rohan became concerned only with its own affairs. Now the kings he had once treayted with had been twice replaced by descendants or stewards and any alliance they had was written only in the history books.

In fact it had been decades since had traveled in any country occupied by humans, his adventers of late where solely concerned with forests.

To be continued