9

It was early the next morning when the company set out, each member of their ragtag team seemed nervous yet determined

Elrond had seen them off, though as Ithil had not been wearing his jade necklace (it gave him a terrible headache if he wore it for to long) he knew not what was said.

Ithil hung to the back of the group, used to being a lone traveller the idea of belonging to a group was foreign to him.

Yet it was comforting to be part of a larger purpose.

as they climbed the long steep path out of Rivendell Ithil threw a last glance to the place he was raised before turning his head to the horizon.  Callon nipped along his ear scampering down and up his arms ever restless, yet her companion refused to put her down. worried she may be trampled under the stumbling feet of the fellowship.

as they marched onwards rock became deep valleys and turbulent waters, misty mountains ever looming overhead.

"We must hold to his course west of the Misty Mountains for forty days. If our luck holds, the Gap of Rohan will still be open to us. From there, our road turns east, to Mordor." Gandalf voiced,

and so they continued on until the time came that the hobbits in their party could go no further and camp was set up. Ithil. still not used to the loud sounds of this world, used this opportunity to remove the jade necklace he had been wearing.

Callon had gone out to hunt for herself as soon ae they made camp.

crossing his legs he closed his eyes allowing himself to fall into a meditative state, he blocked out the world for a simple moment. allowing his body to relax fully for once. he was just about to start foreseeing when suddenly a great force flew into him, knocking into him the shrubbery. a smooth hand placed itself onto his mouth silencing him.

he suddenly became aware he pressed close to Legolas's chest, above them many birds swarmed. which Ithil now released they were hiding from. a blush spread across his cheeks at the close proximity.

Pulling himself up swiftly he readornded the jade necklace, it was too risky to go without his senses. He mentally beratated himself for being foolish.

"what the hell was that!" came a cry from Boromir, "you almost gave us away!"

He opended his mouth as if to say more but one swift look to the expression now gracing legolas' face made even the stubborn son of gondor think better of it.

"Spies of Saruman. The passage South is being watched" Gandalf announced trying to defuse the tension.

He turns to look at strider. All previous conversation is swiftly forgotten as they focused in on the journey ahead.

"We must take the pass of Caradhras!" he exclaimed. Ithil and Aragorn both threw each other alarmed glances. The pass of caradhras was a harsh unforgiving path... They would died open it one fatefull day if it had not been for Ithils elf balance allowing him to walk atop the snow.

"is there no other way?" Aragorn voiced, Ithil was sure he was still traumatized from their last visit.

"none swift enough. Well, other than moria...but what hides in the darkness of the mines these days is a mystery even to thise of us with the best sight"

To be continued