Chapter 2: Sunshine Meadow

Sophia Bloom adored being a teacher

Sophia Bloom adored being a teacher. Although, living in the busy city of Manhattan wasn't her ideal choice. But after a long month, she had gotten used to the chaos and eventually found the charm in it, probably because she found her own routine that was comfortable.

Waking up in the house that her parents gifted her, she rubbed her eyes and felt as if she hadn't slept at all. The dream that kept her occupied all night was quite intriguing. This was the third time this week she had dreamt of a dark forest that was acres long and she wore her mother's white dress, walking through the terrain barefoot. She awed the vivid night sky that showered with glittering stars and the massive moon above her. She had never felt fear in this forest, only comfort and protection, like it was a haven from all evil. However, at the end of the dream, she always met a massive golden wolf. A beast that prowled to her... but just as she reached her hand to it, she'd wake up in bed feeling hot and angst all over. She didn't know how to explain it, except that her mind wasn't her own and neither was her body.

Sophia rolled over her bed taking the warm duvet with her. She could've slept a little longer, but now that her eyes opened, drowsiness was long gone. The sun beamed through the thin curtains on the window by her bed. She got up and parted the curtains letting the fresh light in without any obstruction. It had been raining for so many days, so she was happy to welcome some warm sunshine.

Quickly tidying the tousled sheets of the bed, she then went to the bathroom and freshened up. After a shower, brushing her teeth and blow drying her hair, she wrapped herself in a robe and went to eat breakfast. The kitchen was the cozy centre of the house with just enough room to fit a round table near the arched window overlooking the small backyard. The counter framed the stove, sink and fridge which created an easy space for her to cook and clean. This was her home and she loved it.

Buttering some toast and slicing an apple, she finished off breakfast just in time to get dressed for work. Today was her first official day as an elementary teacher at East Side Private School. She was both excited and about to be sick. But she had been preparing for months and visited the school repeatedly to learn about its nature and etiquette. She was glad the school wasn't gloomy or rigid like her last workplace. She almost killed the principal at her last school for treating kids like they were in the army and not pre-school.

Ignoring thoughts of her horrible employment, she went to her closet and pulled out the brilliant yellow dress that was long enough to reach her ankles. She curled her dark brown hair that was from her father's side since her mom had blonde hair. But she did get mom's blue eyes which always reminded Sophia of home and her parents. Her hand instinctively went to the pendant around her neck, it was a small opal that her father gifted to her before he passed away. He had told her that she had made him proud and wished for her to live her life freely.

Fifteen years passed since that day, she never forgot it. After her father passed away, her mother moved back to Cotswold with her sisters. Sophia lived with her mother for a few years before moving back to Manhattan for work and to explore the big city for herself.