Chapter 7: Sunlight

Today was the day that Sophia was joining the Iron family for a picnic

Today was the day that Sophia was joining the Iron family for a picnic. She was unbelievably nervous since last night. She couldn't shake off the feeling that she was going to mess up and they would end up hating her. This was Lazarus's family, the people he loved and cherished beyond anything else in this world. So, there was a bunch of pressure.

Despite all that, it was a beautiful sunny Saturday. Sophia rummaged through her closet looking for something to wear, when suddenly, her phone pinged from the other room. She went to see and saw an unknown number.

Good morning. It's me, Lazarus. I got your number from Ashley. I hope you don't mind.

Her heart skipped a beat. She didn't know what to say back and the message was read, so he knew she saw it already. Oh god, she was freaking out even more. Her fingers hovered over the keyboard and she started off small.

She typed; "Good morning. I don't mind at all-" and hit sent.

Immediately, he replied back. I'm coming to pick you up. Be ready. See you in twenty minutes.

Sophia had to read the message a few times to understand it. She only had twenty minutes to get herself ready. She dropped her phone from how fast she ran back into her closet. She grabbed her favourite white dress and donned it. Finishing off with a spritz of sunscreen and lip balm, she went downstairs in a hurry.

Thankfully, she arranged a tray of cupcakes yesterday, so all she had to do was grab the basket and put it by the door. Running back upstairs for her purse, she forgot it on her bed along with her phone. She grabbed a book as well along with her polaroid camera and dropped them in her bag.

With five minutes to spare, she was by the door strapping brown sandals onto her feet, when the doorbell rang in front of her. Her heart did a leap and a tumble before she got up to open the door but she didn't see Lazarus, it was the post-man.

"Good morning," the man politely said.

"Good morning," Sophia composed herself.

"You have a package," he said. "I just need your signature here."

Sophia didn't order anything, so she had no idea what this was. She grabbed the box and saw her mom's address on top. What could she have sent her? she wondered. She quickly signed the paper the man showed her.

"Have great day," she wished and was about to close the door.

"You too, but before I leave you, I was wondering if I could take you out for dinner?" The man suddenly asked.

Sophia froze in front of him. "Er- thank you for the offer, but I can't," she replied curtly.

"Oh, don't be like that," he smiled dashingly, which wasn't bad.