Chapter 14: The Big Bad Beast

Damn it all, was Lazarus's final thought at the end of the night

The whole day he tried to tell Sophia that he was a wolf shifter, but who would have thought that his greatest enemy would be his own family. He took her away multiple times and each time someone had to disturb them. At one point, he stole her away just to test his own family and they proved him right. By the time they all gathered for dinner, his head was throbbing with frustration because he was about to murder his own damn pack.

Dinner ended quickly. Ronin got Marcello to clean the kitchen with him but even then, Lazarus didn't get Sophia alone with him. Ashley and Rosalie took her to plan the baby shower. Lazarus gave up and admitted defeat for tonight. Climbing up the stairs, he saw Sophia coming out of Ashley's room towards him, he wondered if they could finally spend some time together alone, but he didn't get his hopes too high.

"Are you finished planning the baby shower?" he asked her.

"Oh, no we're not," she told him.

Of course, he groaned inwardly and climbed the final step.

"Are you okay?" she asked him.

"Perfect," he said through gritted teeth that he wanted to use to rip into people's throats out.

"Really, because you've been wanting to tell me something all day and it's got you tense," Sophia alleged.

Lazarus caught her tender eyes on him. "Nothing's wrong," he reassured hoping that when he told her the truth that nothing would be wrong. Wishful thinking, maybe.

"I'll finish up with Ashley and Rosalie and then we can talk," she offered.

"Okay," he gave a brief smile to cover his glower.

Sophia left him alone and he went to his room.

Closing the door behind him, he stripped off his shirt and discarded it on the chair before he went over to the balcony and stood under the night sky. The moon was out and he felt as if it mocked him, but that's how it always was for Lazarus. He never had a bond with the moon the way other wolves did. To him, this moon wasn't consolation, instead it reminded him of the nights he spent locked up in that cage at the Petrov mansion. From inside his cage, he could see the moon free, shining brightly, looking down on him. Even now, it was free in the sky while Lazarus was stuck between telling Sophia the truth and the fear that followed. He had decided to tell her today, but even that simply plan hadn't worked out in his favour. Looking up at the moon, he remembered that nothing was in his favour for a long time.

Irritation poked him like a thorn at his side, he left the room and went outside for a run to burn off every ill thought out of his mind before he slept.