Chapter 19: Vows

Everyone went to their rooms after they came back inside. Sophia still couldn't believe what happened as Lazarus held her by the hand and led them upstairs.

Memories of the dead bodies and being trapped in that room with the kids still made her skin crawl. Thankfully, no one was hurt. They all returned safe and sound, especially the kids. She could still see Ashley's horrified expression and Rosalie's paled skin just before they returned. Sophia and the kids were throttled to death by the force of the ladies. Everyone immediately started crying when they saw the kids and her come back home with Zeiden. Well, there was one uptake to all of this, Sophia truly felt like she was a part of this family. She would do anything to protect them and they would do the same for her.

The door to their room opened and she walked in and let him close it behind her.

"Did you want to take a bath first?" she asked as she turned away.

He didn't let go of her hand. "Sophia," his tone was soft.

She couldn't move, unable to face him when she was sure that her eyes told her thoughts loud and clear. His strong hand gripped hers, drawing her gently back to him, she avoided his gaze even then.

"Look at me, baby," his voice warm against her cheek.

She shook her head because she knew that if she looked at him she would probably start crying again and she didn't want to do that. She couldn't tolerate being hysterical.

"You got three seconds to look at me," he said.

She almost rolled her eyes at that tone. "Why are you being bossy when I'm trying not to cry?" She smacked his arm even though it didn't matter because it didn't hurt him.

"Then cry, sweetheart," he said gently, "I've got you." She looked up at him then, his green eyes strong and true stared back at her. She didn't know when the tears came down her cheeks, but he wiped them with his thumbs and kissed her wet lashes. "I wish I could take it all back," he whispered. "I never wanted you to go through that. This is all my fault, I'm sorry."

Sophia sniffled her nose. "What are you talking about?"

"It's because of me that this happened to you," his eyes mirrored his guilt as he spoke. "If you hadn't been part of this pack then no one would have touched you."

Sophia couldn't argue with him because it was kind of true. However, she picked this man as her own and to be with him forever. If anyone was at fault, it was her. But as she stood in his arms, in this room where they spent countless moments making memories she'd rather die than forsake, she knew that she'd never make any other choice than to stay with Lazarus.

"You're not to blame," she said, "I want to be with you because I love you."

Lazarus closed his eyes and gritted his teeth like hearing those words impacted him more than fighting anyone ever could. Wishing to lessen his pain, she laid her lips softly against his. He circled his arm around her waist and drew her against the hard length of his body. His lips hungered for hers and took charge of the kiss as he lifted the skirt of her dress that was torn. She circled her arms around his neck and intertwined her tongue with his until she couldn't breathe.

His fingers bruised her thighs as he lifted her off the floor and wrapped her legs around his waist. She felt the cool press of the door against her back, his arms were the only thing that held her in place. She tightened her hold as he kissed her neck, biting down and trailing over to her throat, licking the rapid pulse and feeding off her aching need for more.