Chapter 18: The Devil

A sharp pain pierced through Sophia's skull when she tried to open her eyes, but as the memories of what happened past through her mind, she knew she couldn't give in to the pain

A sharp pain pierced through Sophia's skull when she tried to open her eyes, but as the memories of what happened past through her mind, she knew she couldn't give in to the pain. She moved her arms and noticed that her hands weren't bound nor were her legs. She quickly pulled off the veil from her head and looked around the dingy, cold room. There was nothing here, it was empty.

"Ms. Bloom," a voice called out.

Sophia turned her head and saw Vivian huddled in the corner holding Evelyn. "Girls!" She hurried over to them and checked for injures. "Are you hurt anywhere?" she asked.

"No," Vivian answered.

"What about you, Evelyn?" Sophia asked.

"I'm okay," Evelyn answered, "but your lip is bleeding."

Sophia touched her mouth and saw a stain of red on her fingers, it must have happened when that man hit her. "I'm fine," she reassured.

She got on her feet and went to the door, she turned the knob and pulled but it didn't open. Of course, it'd be locked, she thought. There weren't any windows and nothing inside the room to pick the lock either. This was pointless, the three of them were sitting ducks in this room but what was she supposed to do. She went back and sat with the girls knowing that she'd protect them with her life.

"Are you girls cold?" she asked.

They shook their heads and leaned into her arms. Time passed and occasionally Sophia heard voices outside the door, but no one came to this room. She remembered Lazarus telling her that this problem had been resolved, that there aren't any enemies after them. So, then why did this gang hunt them now? she wondered. Perhaps, this was another enemy.

"Who are these people?" she muttered.

"The Dragon Triad," Evelyn answered.

She looked down at her. "How do you know this?"

"Father tells me who our enemies are," Evelyn said. "I know all of their names and distinct features. Those tattoos that we saw make these people part of the Dragon Triad gang." Sophia gaped down at Evelyn. "You shouldn't worry though," she said. "Our pack is coming."

Sophia couldn't help but smile, she hugged both of the kids close to her. "First, they have to find us," she told them.

"That's easy," said Vivian. "We still have our shoes."

"What do you mean?" Sophia asked.

"Our shoes," she repeated, "uncle Zar planted tracker chips in all of them." She took off her sandal and lifted the sole of her shoe revealing a small black chip beeping with a red light.

"Of course, he did," Sophia remarked remembering how overbearingly controlling Lazarus was all the time. God, she loved that man.

Suddenly, the door rattled and the lock turned startling her. She heard foreign words from the other side before it was pushed open and three men stood at the threshold. One of them scoped out the room and then stopped at the sight of them. He looked back at his two buddies and appeared to crack a joke making them laugh. He probably confirmed that they were still in the room. He shut the door and their voices muffled behind the frame, but Sophia didn't catch the lock clicking into place before he left.