Chapter 4: My Gift to You

Sophia woke up feeling exhausted, which was probably because she hadn't slept all night. And the blame went to Lazarus Iron.

She didn't understand him; one moment he's sweet and then in another moment he's distant and cold. Even now, she could recall the anguish on his face when he dropped her off at her house yesterday. He couldn't even bare to look at her let alone smile. Had she done something to offend him? She couldn't wrap her mind around all this.

Although, she knew one thing. She liked him... a little bit too much for her own good.

The weather was clear with a few clouds that blocked the sun every now and then. Sophia groaned as she neared the cafe for coffee, which she was in desperate need of. Arriving alone at the back of the long line, she tried not to think about Lazarus or his mysterious green eyes and that golden-amber hair of his that sat around his broad shoulders. And of all things, he had worn a leather jacket over a white shirt, she almost ran her hands along his shoulders, chest and she knew there was a hard abdomen under all that. Oh God, she was losing her mind. She needed to get herself under control otherwise she was going to make a fool out of herself. Stuffing her nose into the flower bouquet in her arms, she pushed all the thoughts of that man who was unlawfully good-looking.

Suddenly, her phone went off in her purse. She pulled it out and answered immediately. It was her mom.

"Mom," she said that word like a lifeline, which it was.

"Good morning, dear," her mother's sweet voice streamed through the speaker.

"It's not really a great morning," she said.

"Why, what's wrong?" Her mom asked.

"I couldn't sleep," she told her.

"What are you worried about now?" Her mom asked. "And don't tell me it's because you're concerned about me."

"I'll always be concerned over you, mom," Sophia said. Even to this day, Sophia hated the idea that her mother was across the world where Sophia couldn't go to her in a flash.

"I'm fine, honey," she said. "Now, tell me what's bothering you."

Sophia sighed. "I met someone," she whispered.

Her mother gasped and seemed to shift in a chair. "Did you go on a date yet?" she asked.

"No, mom," Sophia said. "I don't even think he likes me."

"Why do you say that?" she asked.

"Well, there's a long list, but let's just say that he can barely look at me," said Sophia remembering yesterday. Her mother burst out laughing making Sophia feel worse. "Mom, it's not funny," she groaned.

"I'm sorry, dear," she said calming herself down. "Your dad did the same thing to me."

Sophia smiled at the mention of her dad. She remembered the times dad would re-tell how he met her mom with such flare like it was the greatest love story of all time. She liked to believe it was, because she had never seen two people more in love than her parents.

"Has it occurred to you that he might be nervous?" Her mother said.

"Nervous!" Sophia burst out. "That's impossible."

"Why is it impossible?" Her mom astounded. "It took me fifteen hours to birth you and you grew up beautifully. Not only are you an established teacher but you're compassionate. People should be nervous to be by your side."