Chapter 3: Crave

A whole week passed and Lazarus hadn't left the house unless it was to join Isaiah at work

A whole week passed and Lazarus hadn't left the house unless it was to join Isaiah at work. He stayed far away from that school and Ronin was the one who had picked up the girls.

Lazarus woke up and he never lingered in bed either just like he trained himself to wake up at dawn without an alarm clock. He rolled out of bed and just put on a pair of track pants before he went for a run through the woods. This was a luxury he didn't have in his father's pack because the woods were hunting grounds for the Petrov. Anyone found running through the woods would be hunted for sport and killed.

Being a Petrov wasn't just in the name, it was their blood. Despite, changing their ways and making friends more than enemies. Lazarus couldn't deny that the darkness was still in each of them. He could sense it lurking in his black heart, especially when the need to kill overpowered mercy.

Lazarus finished his run as the sun rose higher up the horizon. He walked back into the house and everyone had already woken up for breakfast. The kids were dressed for school and everyone else was ready to go to work. Evelyn was back to her usual high spirits which was a relief. Isaiah still hadn't told her about their past, but Lazarus understood why he hadn't because it wasn't something to discuss during breakfast.

He freshened up and replaced the towel with a suit. He ditched the tie and left the buttons around his neck open and tied up his hair.

He arrived in the kitchen where Justin was making breakfast burritos. Ashley and Rosalie were packing the lunches for the kids and everyone was seated at the table except Marcello.

"Good morning," said Ronin as he saw him.

Lazarus sat down beside him. "Yeah, whatever," he grunted his reply.

Ronin chuckled. "It's only seven in the morning and you're already in a bad mood," he remarked.

"He's been in a bad mood all week," added Zeiden.

Lazarus glared at his little brother. "I will throw this at you," he gestured at the plate in front of him.

"See," said Zeiden.

"Don't throw plates in the kitchen," warned Isaiah.

"Yes, go outside and kill each other instead," added Adrik with a smirk.

"I'm not in a bad mood," Lazarus came to his own defence.

"It's the weather, isn't it?" remarked Isaiah. "Lazarus always gets a little delicate during spring." The group shared a round of laughter.

"Or your face irks my soul," Lazarus retorted.

"You love my face," Isaiah said with a cocky grin.

Zeiden chuckled at his brothers. "It's okay to admit you're getting tired. We'll understand and take it slow for you, big guy," he said with his voice dripping with mock pity.