Chapter 10: Faithful

The thunder clapped hard outside the hospital

The thunder clapped hard outside the hospital. Yet, the sound was nothing compared to the shit they all went through today. Lazarus couldn't sit. He was pacing back and forth, his boots tracking footprints across the floor. Zeiden was out of surgery and asleep in the room. Rosalie was also asleep. Thankfully, both of them weren't hurt too badly and would recover quickly.

However, Lazarus's restlessness was because he was worried about his mate. From the moment he reached her and uncontrollably killed in front of her, she hadn't looked the same. She was pale and distant, like everything that happened couldn't possibly be real. He didn't blame her; this life was difficult to understand that's why he'd warned her so many damn times.

He swiped a hard hand through his hair while thinking about what she was going to do now. Facing the dangers of being part of his family was a heavy burden. She was going to have doubts now, but what was he going to do about it. He couldn't force her, he had no right... but he couldn't let her go either. He needed her.

Lazarus wasn't the only one riddled with the discomfort of the unknown. Adrik stood against a wall, his arms crossed and his jacket was taken off. All the weapons the man carried were disclosed and it was clear that he wanted to use every single one of them again to hunt the people that did this. On the other hand, Marcello sat on the chair with Percy who was keeping the kids company as they slept on the sofa.

"She's going to be fine," Ashley appeared behind Lazarus.

"I don't know," Lazarus confessed his doubt.

Ashley faced him with her thoughtful eyes. "You should've seen her," she said. "Sophia was scared but she protected Zeiden and Rosalie. She's got fight in her."

Lazarus's frown deepened. "What am I supposed to do if she wants to leave me?" he asked her.

"She won't leave you," she alleged.

As much as Lazarus wanted to believe that, he wasn't fully convinced.

The door swung open and Justin rushed out.

"Guys, Rosalie's awake," he announced.

Adrik was the first one in the room and the rest followed. They saw Rosalie resting on the bed, her hair spilling across the pillow. She was a bit pale and a bruise marred her head with a few stitches under a white bandage.

"Adrik," her tired voice called out for her mate.

Adrik was by her side, he gathered her in his arms and she embraced him back. Lazarus couldn't believe how much Adrik had changed since he met Rosalie. He was a scarred man that was chained by his past which left him unable to show emotions or even touch anyone. Yet, he had fallen so madly in love that nothing stopped him from his mate.