Welcome Back to Mumbai

"Bhaiya please stop here" a girl requested, her voice warm like honey but her demeanor strong and intimidating. Akshara Goenka stepped outside of the autorickshaw, clad in a mint green salwar kameez.

Tipper tapper.

Ah, Mumbai had welcomed her back with pouring rain.

How many years had it been?

Twelve since she had been back.

The weather was gloomy, as the rain threatened to become torrential pouring over the entire city as if warning it of what was to come. Smirking, she looked around and took in the dull scenes.

She had returned.

Back to the place where she had nothing.

Where everything had been stolen from her.

Her innocence.

Her childhood.

Vanished overnight.

And she was back.

For revenge.

She faced the haveli that stood in front of her, knowing that this would be the only place her heart could settle for the next few weeks until her mission was completed. Rolling in her single suitcase, she walked to the covered part of the building, the pouring rain not affecting her. Nothing could.

An elderly lady's silhouette stood out as she walked further into the large building that enveloped her.

Dropping her luggage she went to go and hug her.

"Rosie" she whispered as she hugged the old lady. Akshara gulped as she squeezed her eyes shut, this Akshara did not cry. She fought through any emotion that would come up. This is what life had taught her.

"Akshara beta," the lady said slowly as they separated, the lady's eyes filling with tears as she removed her glasses to clear her blurry vision. "You've grown so much... oh my oh my... if only everyone could see you today... my child"

And then the lady, identifying as Rosie, hugged her tightly again sobbing.

"I never thought I would see you again..."

Akshara smiled sadly, her eyes glistening as memories she had blocked out threatened to run through her mind again.

"I am here Rosie... I am going to sort it all out. Everything that happened to us" Akshara promised, digging through her purse and finding a letter.

Rosie stood quietly taking in the child who had become a lady in the last twelve years that she had not seen her. She hummed a little prayer to her lord, gazing at Akshara, noting the years of hardship she would have had to have endured. Please lord, bless my child with love and happiness... life has been cruel to my Akshara.

At that moment, Akshara found her letter and handed it over to Rosie, eyes high on revenge.

Rosie took the letter and saw in big writing -

'Interview for the final candidate at BIRLA ENTERPRISE'

Rosie gasped, her hands dropping the letter in shock.

"Akshara this is not a good idea I-"

"No Rosie, it's time-"

"Akshara" Rosie sighed, holding her elbows, her hands shaking. "You must move on my child... you must free yourself...free yourself from the shackles of the past"

Akshara shook her head repetitively, her head firm on what she was in Mumbai to do.

"My child I was so happy to hear that you were back.. not for all of this - oh heavens - please no," Rosie said frantically, her hands shaking.

Akshara grabbed the elderly lady, wrapping her into a hug. The closest to a motherly figure she had ever had. It was all so bittersweet.

"Don't worry Rosie, this time I will make sure we get our justice. I will not budge. I do not care how long it takes or what route I have to travel through. I will make them pay. And this time I have a plan."

Rosie sighed in disappointment and exhaustion. She knew she could not change her mind. The only thing she could do was keep her close. Perhaps it was selfish but she knew due to her age and health, her time was short. All she had wanted was to spend the last of her time with her. She was the closest thing to a daughter she had left.

She closed her eyes once again praying to the heavens above, "all I have ever wanted is your happiness" she thought to herself.

"Be happy my child" is all she could whisper.

As promised, I am back with another adventure, and this one will be a little longer, filled with some more twists and turns as the name reflects. I am trying a different genre of writing so please bear with me.

Hoping this can bring some peace and joy to your day again.

N x