'Family'

His dear Taiji, or that is what the world thought. On the outskirts, it appeared as if the Birla family members were all close to one another. A tight-knit bond that could never be broken. There were so many family members and after all, they appeared together at events with high spread media coverage.

But Abhimanyu knew the reality. The only family member he still considered his was his Father, who had disappeared from this mess and let him deal with it alone.

After his Mother's passing, Abhimanyu could not remember the last person in his life who represented the figure of the family.

So it came to his surprise when it was announced that Mahima Birla wanted to meet with him.

Rising from his chair when he heard the knock, he faced her.

He nodded in acknowledgment.

"Abhimanyu... it is nice to see you," Mahima said as she walked into the office.

Abhimanyu gave her a polite smile and gestured for her to take a seat offering coffee and tea through gritted teeth.

"Family.. Abhi, family brings me the greatest joy in life" he remembered the shilling voice of his Mother run through his ear "please always keep them close"

He kept these relationships for her, knowing that wherever she was, he wanted her to be proud and to be at peace.

"It has been a while" he acknowledged formally and then he paused.

"You know I have a habit of being straightforward forward" Abhimanyu continued "Is there something I can help you with?"

Mahima looked at him "Can't I visit my nephew?" and Abhimanyu raised an eyebrow.

"I was just looking for some old documents" Mahima replied, "And I also came to ask you about this..." she said pulling out her phone and showing him an email she had received.

Abhimanyu's eyes darted over the subject line quickly - "F - 11/5 case REOPENED"

He remained calm. Composed.

"I don't know if I can help you with either of those matters," he said smoothly.

"So you don't know about what's happening with the case?" Mahima asked him suspiciously.

Abhimanyu shrugged his shoulders and sat back, "it's an old case... you seem awfully interested in it".

"Why wouldn't I? It's the case that took my sister's life after all.. my sister, your mother" Mahima said putting her phone back in her purse.

At the mention of his Mother, Abhimanyu let out a growl. This is why he hated his interactions with his family. They all acted like they cared when he knew it was all fake in the name of money and power.

Noticing his changed demeanor, Mahima stood up from her chair. Either Abhimanyu really knew nothing about the reopening of the case or he was acting like he didn't - either way, Mahima was not going to get much from this interaction.

Abhimanyu gave her another nod of acknowledgment and busied himself with his left over work.

Mahima turned around to walk towards the door and paused.

"She's pretty by the way.." she said and Abhimanyu paused his pen mid-air.

"Excuse me?" he asked, composing himself knowing exactly what she was referring to.

"The girl.. shame, it seems Manjari would have liked her"

And then without another word, Mahima left.