Healing

Akshara sat quietly as she sipped her tea sitting next to Dalbir and Gayatri. It had been a couple of days now that she had stayed at Abhimanyu's and she was speedily recovering. Her rib fracture had dramatically improved and now it didn't hurt when she moved so she was able to visit outdoors.

She had started spending more time at the orphanage as she had taken leave from work to rest and recover.

She watched the scene in front of her, Rosie was sitting and making beaded bracelets with some of the kids. The first time she had brought Rosie to this place, Rosie had welled up in tears instantly and had been inconsolable. Every heartstring of Akshara's had been strung as she was reminded of the pain Rosie must have endured.

But slowly Rosie started coming back and visiting more and more often. And now she had found herself working at the orphanage again, her name registered under John's, as she found friendships in Dalbir and Gayatri. She had told Akshara one night that they reminded her of her and John and through them she was living the life she had missed.

They had adored Rosie's infectious energy and the kids were drawn to her instantly.

Akshara smiled, realising that for the first time in years, Rosie was beginning to heal. As she saw her throw her head back in laughter talking to some of the kids.

One of the kids approached Akshara, holding bracelets he had made.

"Didi..." he whispered sweetly, holding a bracelet, "this is for you".

Akshara smiled sweetly, placing her tea down and leaning herself down to grab the beaded bracelet.

"Arre... this is so sweet" she smiled ruffling the little boy's hair. "And who are the other ones for?" she asked teasing the young boy, noting the collection he was holding.

"One for Rosie... one for Dalbir uncle... one for Gayatri aunty... one for my friend Pinky.... and one for... one for bhaiya" he told her sweetly.

Akshara scrunched her eyebrows, "bhaiya?" she asked him gently.

"Yes, one for my superman bhaiya" he confirmed again.

Akshara turned around confused, looking at Dalbir and Gayatri.

Dalbir let out a laugh "bhaiya ka chamcha" he said ruffling the little boy's head before he ran off in a different direction.

"Akshara actually... we need to introduce you to him, we have been keeping him a secret because he had actually told us not to disclose that he is a part of this place to anyone...." Dalbir began before turning around to Gayatri and looking for her support.

Gayatri nodded, placing her own chai down.. "yes... as you know beta, our entire heart resides in this place but we did not have the means to necessarily keep this place going long term.. it is because of him that we have been able to fund and sustain Leelavathi Foundation" she confirmed.

"We were not going to mention him to respect his privacy...but you and Rosie are family now, it would be great if you could meet him." Dalbir smiled, "If we have your permission, can we tell you about him the next time he visits?"

Akshara looked into the distance deep in thought over this enigma. It seemed like he was also a part of the family.

Nervously, she nodded. "Jee.. jee.. of course"

***

Akshara stood at the kitchen counter later that night, toying around with the rack of spices trying to cook rajma and rice. She had taken notes from Rosie earlier that day and now she was nervously biting her lip as she cooked.

She had never been a big cook. She didn't like to cook.

She had learned to cook a couple of easy meals. Like fried rice. When she was in survival mode, it was almost all she knew.