Fighting for the past

Akshara stepped down from the autorickshaw as she fixed the light pink salwar kameez she had picked for her visit this Friday morning. At the office she was always in very formal and intimidating wear, her outfits were all top-notch and right off the runway but the real her was more simple than that.

The real her was a little child who found happiness in her salwar kameez and kurtas.

She knew she would have to change before going to work.

That didn't matter right now.

Pausing, she took in the sight in front of her as she read the sign. "Leelavathi Foundation'.

She hadn't been here before and she was slightly nervous about her visit but she knew this was important for her.

Stepping in, she kneeled down to take blessings before walking into the place.

When she walked in, she noted instantly the bright colours on the walls and the sounds of kids running around in the distance. Water paintings and drawings were hung up everywhere. Instantly, a smile was brought to her face.

A middle-aged man and lady came up to her and she recognised them from the discussions she had with them online. This must be Dalbir and Gayatri. The owners of the foundation.

Akshara had been in contact with them after looking up the Foundation and since then she had endless conversations with them online about wanting to volunteer and help out. She had also provided financial aid but she wanted to become an active member of the community.

"Akshara?" the lady, Gayatri spoke gently. She had such soft features, her grey hair was somewhat starting to show and age had brought wrinkles but youth was evident on the lady's face.

"That is me.. it is very nice to meet you both in person," Akshara said giving them a small nervous smile as she fidgeted with her fingers.

Gayatri smiled and then whispered to Dalbir, "I told you she would be beautiful... a beautiful person inside and out".

"Oh Akshara, we consider ourselves lucky to meet you. Thank you for all your assistance beta" the man, Dalbir spoke. Dalbir appeared slightly older than Gayatri but Akshara could tell that he carried similar infectious energy.

"Come let us give you a tour..." Gayatri ushered.

They then spent the next hour showing Akshara around and answering any questions. Bringing her to different rooms, they introduced her to the small number of staff and also all the children who instantly giggled and stood in awe of their visitor.

Along the way, they also go to know Akshara, instantly growing a liking towards the young lady. At the end of the tour, they stood discussing their plans for the future and Akshara recounted that she should probably leave for work soon.

Akshara gave Gayatri a warm hug and shook hands with Dalbir, exchanging numbers with them both and promising to be back soon.

After giving her their blessings, they both bid her adieu and headed off to their respective duties for the day as Akshara headed towards the door.

She had to head back home and change before she went in to work in her formals. Eyeing the grey gate, she stepped forwards towards it.

Before she could reach the end, she was stopped by a little girl who ran to her and gave her a hug.

"Didi you will be back soon na?" the young girl asked cutely, her hair nicely tied into two little piggy tails and a smear of butter from her breakfast dripping down her cheek.

Akshara smiled, kneeling down to her height and smiling back at her, ruffling her hair "yes" she confirmed.

The little girl hooted in excitement and then turned around and yelled to the rest of the children "didi is coming back!". They all hooted before running around.