Abhimanyu Birla

When Abhimanyu Birla walked back into his Goa home after completing his business meeting, he was met by an interesting sight.

His home was spotless, she had cleaned up every remaining bit of it.

Like she was never here.

But the food he had cooked her for breakfast this morning had clearly been eaten and the plate had been gently washed, dried, and placed back in its proper spot.

A sudden anxiety crept up to his heart. Now that she was with him, in his own home, he never wanted her to leave.

He called Charles immediately and left for Akshara's hotel which was a nearby five-minute drive. He was aware that the rest of the team had already left and would soon arrive back in Mumbai. It was just Akshara and him set to arrive back.

He quietened and gazed outside the window, the weather had lightened up, almost as if it wanted to forget the stormy night that had just passed. Abhimanyu sighed, he felt restless at not hearing from Akshara all morning.

Upon arrival at the hotel, Abhimanyu jetted straight to reception and enquired about Akshara. Although normally they were not allowed to release information about the guest, the receptionist gulped knowing she was speaking to the CEO of Birla Enterprise.

"S-Sir" she stammered, meeting his intimidating gaze "Akshara ma'am has already checked out an hour ago".

"Checked out?" he asked, his heart racing. Somehow he knew she would leave, even though her eyes had clearly told him she wanted to stay.

Something was happening with Akshara and he had to uncover what the hell it was.

"Yes," the receptionist confirmed.

Abhimanyu sighed, running his hands through his hair, and nodded stepping away from the reception and back to the car.

Now where to go?

He sat back in his car and closed his eyes, frustrated that she had left. He couldn't change her decision. He had to respect what she wished.

"Sir - shall we head to the airport?" the chauffeur asked and Abhimanyu nodded wordlessly.

A memory ran through his head, of a little girl.

"You know - if I'm ever lost, I would like to go to the beach" smiled the young 8-year-old girl with a toothy grin, "that's where you will find me".

The boy whose hand she was holding, smiled back at her.

"Don't worry I won't lose you, we will be friends forever" he said confidently replied, a couple of years older than her at 10.

Abhimanyu didn't know why, but running his hand over the locket that never left his neck, suddenly he wanted to go to the beach before he left Goa.

"Charles' he instructed his chauffeur, "the beach please".

***

Akshara gazed at the waves that were crashing the shore, letting her bare feet hit the sand as she sat on the swing that was nestled into a corner of the beach. Her suitcase sat quietly behind her.

She had always found peace and quiet at the beach.

Ever since she was little.

It was the one place that reminded her that peace and chaos could exist in the same vicinity. It reminded her to find peace in her own chaotic life.

She had tried to run.

Leave Goa as soon as possible and never look back.

Put distance between her and Abhimanyu, that's what she had decided.