17- Resignation

Wires was deadly silent, probably afraid of the outburst that happened between everyone. I disconnected my emotions for the time being, a stoic and numb expression across my face. I could still feel the slap on my face tingling as air occasionally brushed against it. I parked the car back on the base, immediately pulling myself out as a plane began landing. Our ride home. I could hear Wires voice leaking from the car as he was hauled over Ghost's shoulder.

"Where am I goin'?" He inquired, his voice much more weak and feeble than before.

"Britain," I dryly responded, searching for David to return the keys to the Hummer and get the fuck out of here. I finally found him yelling at a group of privates. He paused when he saw me, dismissing them before shifting his attention to me.

"Sergeant L/n!- Woah, what happened to your face?" His excited expression shifted to concern. I resisted the urge to touch my cheek, knowing it would hurt worse as I relived the moment.

"I fell. It's nothing. Here's the key to the car. Thank you for all you've done," I saluted him before tossing the keys at him and walking away. This numbness was wearing off quick and I was not excited to deal with my feelings. I met everyone at the plane, the pilot eying me suspiciously, yet he never said anything. We secured Wires before settling ourselves, the room being more cramped then expected. I sat next to Ghost and the wall. He took the opportunity to make me as uncomfortable as possible, man-spreading and digging his elbow into my side.

"Why are you being so spiteful?" I commented, breaking the silence as we made our trip back. Ghost's eyes glared down at me as he made sure I stayed uncomfortable.

"Why don't you just quit before you get yourself killed?" He threatened. I gulped, a pang hitting my chest.

The rest of the ride was deadly silent, even Wires wasn't talking. I closed my eyes, struggling to bare with Ghost's purposeful jabs into my rib cage. I adjusted myself against the wall until I was somewhat comfortable and decided to try and sleep off most of this ride.

Before I knew it, we touched ground. I immediately set myself free, jumping out of the plane as fast as I could. I saw Price standing there, a smile on his face when he saw me emerge. I stood in front of him, fumbling with the dog tag around my neck. I could see his eyes shift behind me as the boys climbed out of the aircraft before coming back to me.

"What are you doing Y/n?" He inquired, curious as my fingers found my dog tag, pulling it out from under my shirt. I gave it a rough yank, hearing the metal beads snap against my neck. Price's curious look changed to confusion as I felt tears brim my eyes. I glanced backing seeing the three of them, confused as things unfolded.

"I'm done," I sobbed, my voice horribly cracking. Tears immediate spilled from my eyes as the words escaped my lips.

"What?" Price spoke, taken aback.

"I quit. I resigned. I give up," I cried, grabbing his hand and placing the dog tags in his palm, wrapping his fingers around it. His wide eye expression burned into my mind as I let out one more weep before walking toward the barracks. The tears stung against the slap, even though it had been a few hours.

Price's POV

She closed the dog tag into my hand, tears slipping out from her eyes. I watched as she walked away, flabbergasted at what just happened. I shifted toward the three men coming out of the plane.

"What the hell happened?" I asked, trying my best to stay calm. She didn't really quit, she wouldn't leave. But if she did, everything would fall apart. The three of them awkwardly shifted, silent.

"I asked a question," I spoke more agitated.

"I kissed Y/n," Soap replied, Ghost and König giving him a harsh stare. I sighed, rubbing my face.

"That doesn't explain the crying and the mark on her face." König awkwardly shifted, shyly raising his hand. I looked at him shocked. He avoided eye contact, clearly struggling to admit what he had done.

"You?" I asked. He nodded, sulking into his mask. I huffed, looking at Ghost. "What'd you do?" His blank stare told me nothing. He shrugged, the three of them seeming ashamed of their behavior.

"You realize the gravity of everything, right? If she leaves, the mission in Russia will fall apart." I searched my pockets for a cigar along with a lighter. I sighed.

"We've got to make sure she doesn't leave. And you all sort out your problems. I won't hesitate to remove you all from the Task Force," I threatened, walking away to go hunt down Y/n and keep her from actually leaving. She had to be bluffing.

König's POV

Soap, Ghost, and I stood awkwardly as Price walked off from us, smoke following him in his wake.

"Why did you kiss her?" I broke the silence, my anger slowly wrapping around my chest again. Soap looked up at me, hesitating before speaking.

"I told you. She isn't yours. I'll get my way." For the confidence in his voice, he refused to look at me. I sighed, reliving slamming her against the wall. The fear in her eyes burned into the back of my skull. I had fucked up, and there was no going back. I played myself into the tall and scary role. I could hear Ghost awkwardly cough before stepping between me and Soap.

"Johnny," Ghost murmured. I could tell they were about to have a moment and slowly walked away, eavesdropping.

"Look, Johnny. I-I. You know I'm not open with things."

"Yeah, you're a stone brick wall."

"Let me physically express it?"

"Sure, L.T."

I could hear the shuffling of Ghost and a surprised gasp from Soap until the clicking of lips told me everything I needed to know.

The Soap situation was taken care of. Now time to salvage what I can.