𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕱𝖔𝖚𝖗: 𝕷𝖎𝖊𝖘 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝕴𝖑𝖑𝖚𝖘𝖎𝖔𝖓𝖘

CHAPTER FOUR

act i

LIES AND ILLUSIONS

'Woe is the Loneliest Number'

"How could you miss a dead body" Wednesday questioned the sheriff. The police department and the sheriff spent all night looking for the gory body that was Roman. But they ended up empty-handed, which wasn't a surprise.

"Seems the police is lacking...as usual," I commented.

Sheriff Galpin glared at me but ignored my comment and said, "Because it wasn't there. No footprints, no blood, and no sign of a struggle. Nothing, nada. My search party looked all night".

Wednesday had told me what happened with Rowan: a bugged eye monster slashed Rowan up right in front of her. I believed her, of course. Wednesday was not a liar; if she was, she would've made a much more complex and believable story. This town and Nevermore were becoming most interesting, and here I was beginning to think it was boring.

I wasn't upset with the murder of Rowan, he tried to kill my twin, and he thought she could potentially destroy the school. It was ridiculous Wednesday wouldn't destroy the school, too much work. She would much rather rule the school.

"Your search party is blind and useless, it seems," I commented offhandedly.

Wednesday was getting frustrated and told him, "I saw that monster kill Rowan right in front of me."

The sheriff sighed and questioned, "Get a good look at this monster thing?"

I rolled my eyes and told him that he was stupid because he was. "Murderers and monsters don't usually stick around when killing someone for a chat. Maybe we should've asked if it wanted a cup of tea."

Sheriff Galpin rolled his eyes but raised an eyebrow and asked, "Maybe it was one of your classmates."

Principal Weems gave the old man a pointed glare and sternly said, "Sheriff, I find that question offensive."

"I don't care, 'cause I got three other dead bodies in the morgue," The old man scoffed, "Hikers just ripped apart in the woods."

Larissa raised an eyebrow and said, "The mayor said those were bear attacks."

The sheriff shook his head and replied, "Well, the mayor and I disagree."

"So... you're assuming a Nevermore student is the murderer despite the lack of evidence of a crime being committed. How very presumptuous," I told him, tilting my head and narrowing my eyes. "Let us move on; I'm over this"