𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕰𝖑𝖊𝖛𝖊𝖓: 𝕱𝖆𝖒𝖎𝖑𝖞 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝕾𝖊𝖈𝖗𝖊𝖙 𝕮𝖗𝖎𝖒𝖎𝖓𝖆𝖑 𝕳𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖔𝖗𝖎𝖊𝖘

CHAPTER ELEVEN

(act i)

FAMILY AND SECRET CRIMINAL HISTORIES 

'You Reap What You Woe'

It was parent weekend, and Wednesday was frowning more than usual. I didn't understand her hatred for our mother but was undoubtedly excited. 

Wednesday was digging into our father's criminal history and what happened when they were in Nevermore. He was an open book and a sweet soul. I could never think he would kill someone without a good reason.

Eugene was in the ICU in a coma from the monster attack; we hadn't gone to see him because Wednesday was blaming herself for it.

The quad was packed with families and parents, it was too bright for my liking, but I wanted to see if our bet for Pugsley came to fruition.

"Nevermore was created as a safe haven for our children to learn and to grow, no matter who or what they are. I realize most of you have heard about the unfortunate incident involving one of our students. But I'm happy to report that Eugene is on the mend and is expected to make a full recovery. So let's focus on the positive and make this Parents' Weekend our very best yet." Principal Weems gave her welcome speech glossing over the fact Eugene was not on the mend but in a coma.

"On the mend? Try in a coma." Wednesday monotonously said to Enid.

"Have you been to see him? You're his friend." Enid asked, looking at Wednesday.

"I'm the reason he's in the hospital," Wednesday said, looking at the blonde girl.

"That is not your fault, okay? The monster hasn't attacked anyone in the past week. Maybe you finally scared it off." Enid said, trying to cheer her up.

"She's right, Weds," I patted her shoulder.

Wednesday ignored us and said, "Or maybe it went into hiding to avoid this weekend."

"It won't be that bad," I told her, looking at our family.

Wednesday sneered at them, and Enid looked at her family and said, "Would you look at my family? Talk about toxic pack mentality." We turned to them, who were howling and roughhousing on a table. "I give my mom 30 seconds before her judge-y claws come out. Let's get this over with." She said, sighing and walking over to her family.

We parted ways and walked over to our family, "There they are," Father said with a smile, holding his arms out and hugging us both. "Oh, how we missed those accusing eyes and youthful sneer." He said sniffingly.

He let go, and Mother smiled at us and said, "How are you, my little rain cloud and my little raven?"

"I thought Thing was filling you in on my every move." Wednesday said, raising an eyebrow, and our parents looked at each other guilty, "I uncovered your feeble subterfuge almost immediately." She said.