Chapter 7

TIFFANY'S POV

How long has it been since I visited the auction house? Well, I'm in a good mood, and I think luck is on my side. Who am I kidding? I'm here because of what my parents mentioned at breakfast today. They were talking about some wealthy dead man's treasure, and something piqued my interest.

The glowing Ruby.

I don't know what it means, but I'm interested to know what that is. And I'm willing to spend a great amount of money to have it.

"Tiffany? Is that you? Oh my- I can't believe it- Tiffany Astoria is here." And who is this man? Why can't I remember his name?

"Don't tell me that you forgot who I am?" I have no idea who this person is.

"I'm sorry, but I don't remember you." The man seems offended.

"Seriously? It's me, John!" John? John who? I-

"John Reagan? I remember now. You're the kid who went to see my parents and asked if you could marry me. Wow! It's been years. And you look different than before too." The man smiled.

"I'm married. Perhaps that's why I look different." He's married, and I'm single? Is this what I get for refusing to marry him? Is this a way for God to tell me that I don't deserve to be happy? Is that even fair?

"Anyway, are you here for the glowing Ruby?" I nodded.

"Of course you are. Like most of the people that are here today are aiming for Ruby as well. But knowing you, no one will get a chance." I take that as a compliment.

"Well, good to see you again, and good luck." I smiled before excusing myself and making my way toward the auction room. Inside I met several familiar faces, and I must admit that there will be a fierce battle between us. I-

"Tiffany Astoria? What are you doing here?" I smiled at the woman who was seated next to me.

"I'm here just like you- for the auction. What do you think I'll be doing here for?" The woman smiled before shrugging her shoulder. I don't even know her name, and yet she's being a bitch. The familiar faces I met today avoid me like a fly.

Are they scared that I might do something to embarrass them? Weird.

"Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to Larove Auction House. Today, we have such a great item to be auctioned off by some of our fellow socialites who sadly passed not long ago. As we all may know, this very socialite was a collector of antiques and rare objects from all around the world. Are you ready?" The auctioneer announced as everyone finally seated.

"The first item on our list is the Harrington Commode. Invented in 1770, it has a serpentine-shaped, tulipwood-banded top, fine woodworking, and rosewood that has been gilt-lacquered. Its dimension is 2 feet, 11 inches long, 4 feet, 7 inches wide, and 2 feet, 1.5 inches high. The bidding price will start at three million." That's a nice antique piece, but why do I need to buy an old toilet? No way.

Whoever bids on this must be a deranged collector or just weird.

"Sold! To 3321 for six million!" Seriously?!

"The second item on our list is this beautiful White Porcelain Moonflask in Pink and Blue Enamel. This exquisite piece, which dates to the Qianlong Dynasty because it bears the Qianlong six-character mark, was made between 1736 and 1795. It has two phoenix birds, a flaming pearl, and a wonderful blend of colors and porcelain, all expertly rendered in pink enamel. The bidding price for this will start at ten million." Nothing seems to be catching my attention.

My mind is focused on the ruby.

"And now, it's time for us to show you the third item of the day, the crimson flame Ruby- also known as the glowing Ruby. This sparkling masterpiece features a central 15-carat Burmese ruby surrounded by petal-like diamonds, all set in an exquisitely crafted gold band. The bidding price will start at eleven million."