Chapter 31 - Chopsticks

Liliana's PoV

After telling my mother and sister about my sudden engagement, they didn't seem too surprised. Maybe because I've been waiting ten years for George to do the same, but it only took Tiffany half a month to consider taking our relationship to the next level. I'm happy, Tiffany's happy, and of course, my family is ecstatic for me as well.

My mother gave me a warm smile while my sister gave words of encouragement because, finally, I got to feel the excitement of being someone's official partner. But am I ready for this commitment? Will Tiffany be alright with how unpredictable my work schedule is?

"Lily, will you be telling your father about this good news?"

Should I?

"Why should I? He is busy with his new life. It was his choice to walk away from ours. So why must I tell him what is happening in my life?"

My mother sighed. I may sound rude, but my father doesn't deserve my respect. He had lost those privileges the moment he walked out of our life. He chooses to be with his new younger partner than stay with his family. That man- he doesn't deserve my attention.

"Still, your father at least deserves to know that his daughter is getting engaged to the person she loves. It doesn't matter if he will be there, but you should tell him."

I sighed. Why is my mother always too kind to that bastard?

"I'll think about it."

My mother smiled before she asked me if I had anything to do today.

"Not really. I took a day off today. Why? Do you want to go anywhere today, Mom?"

My mother nodded her head.

"I was thinking of doing some light grocery shopping and perhaps hanging out at the mall. Let's go out and have some girl's day out."

I chuckled. That does sound great. I planned to laze around the house and catch up with some of the shows I missed since I've been busy with work.

"Okay. That does sound good."

My mother smiled before she went to her room while I got some breakfast. It has never taken me more than five minutes to prepare, so while I wait for my mother, I thought I would text Tiffany and tell her that my mother approved that we took our relationship to the next level.

Tiffany sends me a selfie of herself enjoying a cup of coffee on the balcony of her house with a cheeky remark.

"Lily?"

I look up at my mother standing by the door. I got up, washed my plate, and grabbed my handbag and keys from my room.

"So where should we go first, Mom?"

I asked as we walked towards the car.

"Grocery shopping? I'm considering making spaghetti meatballs and a chicken salad bowl for dinner. Your sister said she wants to start eating healthy again. But I doubt she would go through with it. It's Janet we're talking about here. What do you think? Or would you like to add more?"

I find it funny that even our mother doesn't have an ounce of trust in Janet's diet plan.

"How about jello for dessert?"

My mother smiled.

"Okay. I'll make the jello."

Yes! It's been a while since I tasted the jello. It's so delicious, and I've been craving it.

"Lily, did Tiffany give you this car?"

My mother asked as I started to drive.

"Yea. At first, I did decline her offer, but she insisted. That woman will go as far as to cry like a baby if I decline anything she offers me. But don't worry, Mom. I know my place. Until hers and my name is on a piece of paper that says marriage, I would ask for much. Well, I doubt I even ask for anything even if we married each other."