𝒕𝒘𝒐, pogues

TWO

JJ's addicted to her.

*ೃ༄

*ೃ༄

john b's pov

THE OUTER BANKS, Paradise on Earth. It's the sort of place where you either have two jobs, or two houses.

Two tribes, one island.

Figure Eight; the rich side of the Island. Home of the Kooks. So, guess where we don't live.

And then, there is the south side, or the cut. Home of the working class who make a living busing tables, washing yachts, running charters. The natural habitat of. . . drumroll please. . . The Pogues; that's us.

Pogues, pogies, the throwaway fish. Lowest member of the food chain.

Okay, so, the downside of Pogue life is we're ignored and neglected. But the upside of Pogue life? We're ignored and neglected, which means we do whatever we want, whenever we want.

JJ, my best friend since the third grade.

He's about as local as they come. Latest in a long line of fishing, drinking, smuggling, vendetta-holding salt-lifers who made their living off the water.

Best surfer I know.
Just don't tell him I said that.

Mild kleptomaniac and a future tax cheat.

And when he's not hitting on my sister, he's driving us all crazy.

KIARA, or Kie, as we call her.

When she's not saving turtles or listening to Marley, or getting a dolphin tattoo, she hangs out with us. I'm not really sure why, though.

So, she's a rich kid, actually.
Foot in both worlds.

Her family owns The Wreck which is this Outer Banks institution. Total cash cow with the tourists.

You know, I'm not really sure how her parents feel about us.

I guess we all short of have a thing for her, apart from JJ, he's strictly devote to my sister, though I don't think he knows I know that.

POPE, the brains of the operation.

Finalist for the Lucas T. Vanderhorst Merit Scholarship. And the smartest person I know.

Little bit of a weirdo.

His father's this legendary character, Heyward. Anything you want on the island, Heyward can get it for you.

Now, I'm not sure Heyward knew what to make of his oddball son, but it didn't matter.

He's a pogue, just like the rest of us.

Then lastly, and possibly least;

AVA, my twin sister.

Everyone on the island, Kook or Pogue, adores her.

She's one of those girls who seems like such a sweetheart but once you get high with her, you soon realise she's nothing like what people believe her to be.

She's addicted to smoking, and claims to be doing it because it will kill her one day.

She keeps the group grounded with her constant sarcasm and harsh comments, but I believe she's everyone's favourite.

Like I said, JJ's addicted to her, but she's out of bounds.

She can't surf for shit, and spends practically all of her free time blasting music into her ears to drown us all out.

I love her really,
but I've never actually said that to her face.

So, that's my crew.

Then there's me, John Booker Routledge.

Ava and I are hauled up in this shithole; a haven for neglected kids. It's an old fish shack on the marsh. The Chateau, as our dad used to call it.

Dad disappeared at sea nine months ago, looking for a shipwreck. Who disappears at sea these days? I miss him, unlike Ava, who's hated him since she was old enough to understand him.

And then there's mum. She split when Ava and I were three. Last I heard, she's in Colorado. I think it's Colorado.

Uncle T. Since dad's vanished, he's supposedly our legal guardian. At the moment, he's in Mississippi, building houses and fishing to make a living.

Which means. . . it's just Ava and I right now, on our own, hanging out with our friends.

. . .

useless short chapter but i felt like doing it anyway