𝒔𝒊𝒙𝒕𝒆𝒆𝒏, tomb

SIXTEEN

I know I said dad was dead,
but I don't think he'll be here.

*ೃ༄

*ೃ༄

WITH YET ANOTHER cig hanging from her lips, Ava's temple is leant against the cold back window of the Twinkie as she stares out at the darkness. They had been on the road for a while, John B being quite secretive about the final destination. JJ was trying to have a nap in the very back of the van, his hat pulled over his eyes. Pope and Ava had tried to play I-Spy for a bit, but it became difficult to find new things after a while, and Kiara quickly became annoyed with their arguments over who won.

As her phone vibrates in her short's pocket, Ava pushes away from the window, takes the cigarette from her mouth and blows the smoke away before she digs her mobile out. She presses accept without even bothering to look at the contact and raises the phone to her ear.

"Hello?" She mutters, her face straight with boredom. She was too tired to speak to someone.

"Ava, it's, uh, it's me."

Her brows furrow, "Nice and I'm not psychic. Who is me, exactly?"

From the seat behind her, JJ slowly wakes from his nap and he sits up slightly, removing his hat as he shuffles silently closer to her when he notices she's on the phone. Pope rolls his eyes, but he too moves along the seat to her. She glares over at him, still not seeing the blonde boy listening in behind her.

"For fucks sake," Now she knows who it is when she hears a proper formed statement, but the person on the other side still reveals themselves, "It's Rafe."

Ava's eyes fall closed with a long sigh and she puts her cigarette out before throwing it into the make-shift trash can by her feet. She runs her hands through her hair, causing JJ's brows to furrow further.

He wants to nudge her, and ask her who she's talking to, but due to their current status, he feels like she wouldn't appreciate that much. So instead he continues to try and eavesdrop, waiting for her to address the person on the other side.

"Oh, okay," Ava finally breaths out, "Hey, Rafe."

As the Kook's name leaves her lips, JJ's nostrils flare and his jaw clenches, while Kiara whirls around in her seat and Pope's eyes widen in surprise. John B looks at his twin sister through the rear view mirror, his brows cinched together in confusion. Each of them knew about her past relationship with Rafe Cameron, and none of them liked it.

"Are you busy?" Rafe questions quickly, and she can tell he's pacing by the continuous footsteps clicking on his kitchen floor in the background.