The Crack

Proof-red and Edited - April 12th, 2023

A/N: Follow my IG for more updates, links, and Nijiro content !

____________________________________

"Alright, let's start the meeting." I walk with my dad, side by side, stopping at a table, at its edge. 2 chairs were seated at the table's width, and more were at its length. My dad and I sat down next to each other. Ann, Chishiya, Last Boss on one side, Kuzuryu, Niragi on the other, and Aguni facing the opposite side of us. Chishiya waved at Arisu, before locking eyes with me. "We took the 2 of Spades, 6 of Spades, 4 of Diamonds, and the 2 of Clubs." Mira, who was covered in all black with her swimwear, put the cards on the table. "So far, the existence of any face cards has not been confirmed." She continued. "And if there aren't any face cards?" I questioned as my father looked at each of the cards that were put on the table. "Then all that's left is the 10 of Hearts." Mira then opens up her book, a new topic coming to light.

I wasn't a part of that topic. I was lost in my mind. My own theories and me.

If we haven't gotten the last card, maybe there's a way to activate it. Maybe it wasn't here in Tokyo. Maybe something needed to happen. Whatever is causing the card to slow down, it's working. Time is slowly wasted and we really can't have that. I need to leave, now. We all do. Something is blocking our way. Knowing it's a Hearts game we have to do, and Heart games are ruthless, maybe we need to play with each other's feelings? Hell, I even have a theory that we have to carve someone's heart out. It doesn't hurt to try.

"My visa needs to be reissued soon." I look back up at my father's statement. Sensing my reaction, he took my hand firmly and places it on the table.

I was shaking.

Well, I mean who wouldn't when they hear that their own dad has to play some kid's game where they might die?

Ann placed hand on my lap, a 'not to worry' signal. All eyes were on my father and I, our hands together. I looked around and my eyes shoot up at Aguni, his head was tilted to the side, eyes looking left and right before resting on my hands. I looked over at Chishiya, his eyes still on me. A grin was no longer on his face, but rather an unreadable one. His eyes rested on my hands and nod.

Something was up.

Father lets go of me as Mira talked again, suggesting that Heart games were easy ways to earn visas. An argued that we couldn't tell what the game is until registration closes, and Kuzuryu suggests using numbers to show probabilities on how we can determine the arena. Apart from me wanting to say something. About that note I have. Hints to give out on what games will be held based on the arena. Another part of me wanted to keep it to myself.

Before I know it, the meeting ended. My thoughts clouded my mind without me knowing.

____________________________________

"Am I that attractive?" Up on the rooftop were Chishiya and I. Kuina was here a bit but eventually left after she suggested taking some shut-eye. "And if you are?" I responded to the blonde man as I know whatever answer I give him, will feed his ego either way. Might as well give him everything. "Look, I know you have something in mind." Chishiya looks at me with an amused face. He looks me up and down before saying, "Not really, if you wanted it, however, just ask."

I choke on my water bottle that I had and tried to regain my posture. "No, I mean-" "I know what you mean." Chishiya sits near the edge, looking down at the party. Seeing him this way was like seeing how a human looks down at some ants before stepping on them. What exactly is going on inside his mind? I always wonder. Blondie looks back and mentions me to take a seat as well, not too close to him however. I did but sat next to him, our shoulders almost touching. His eyes rolled as he scooted away by like 2 inches. "I do have something in mind," he started, "but I don't think you want to hear it." Looking at him with amazement in my eyes, I suggested him to try me. Chishiya only smirks and does his little nod. "Fine." His attention was now fully on me. "Ask me your questions."

I nod and shoot him with one. "What are you planning?" He took a second before answering back. "Steal the cards."

I was taken aback. Is he trying to break the 3rd rule of the Beach? In front of the Hatter's daughter? Either that or he's lying. Playing with me even. "Tell me the truth."

For a moment, Chishiya laughed. For the first time, it seemed genuine. He looked at the other side to hide it however, noy fair since I wanted to see his smile. After a few seconds, he faced back at me and nods. "The Testimony."

Hm? Did he want to know more about me or..?

"I threw it away."

My brows furrowed as I looked at him. Confounded. Again, he could be lying, a cruel joke he wanted to make, until he reached into his pocket and showed me an envelope. 'Last Will and Testament' was written there in fancy English letters. I took it from him slowly, opening the letter. Three folded pieces of paper were placed inside with care. One about the disposition of property and such information about our Hat Store, another with computer-written Japanese text, an Official Statement, and another which looked like my grandfather's writing. "Who knew I would actually come across you? Fate if you wanna call it that."

'I nominate and appoint Danma Takeru Boshiya, of Japan, Island of Honshu, Region of Kanto, as Personal Representative of my estate and I request that he be appointed temporary Personal Representative if he applies. If my Personal Representative fails or ceases to serve, then I nominate Aguni Morizono, of Japan, Island of Honshu, Region of Kanto to serve.'

'Danma Y/n, currently of

170-****

東京都 本州 関東 5-*-*

弾間Y/N-ちゃん

as my grand-daughter, whose last four digits of their Number are xxxx-xxxx-1374 with the following property:

¥100,000,000, the box hidden underneath the cabinet in the main room, and Photobook #13.'

"During his stay in the hospital, he would always talk about you. The things you would do, the things you'd say, the things he did to you."

I looked at Chishiya, his eyes hold venom, and it stung. They weren't targeted at me.

"A disgusting old bastard who wanted you gone at all cost."

My hands shake at the statement, my body was suddenly cold.

"Every night was a different story," he chuckled a bit, "I wanted to pull the plug but I was still new so I was supervised."

The pieces were connecting.

"Did you not know? He didn't die. He was stuck in the hospital for 18 years. I was his 7th doctor."

He was treated by Chishiya, we're the same age, why didn't I question it?

"Your father found out when you were 4."

What?

"Nearly killed him, he was amputated and his heart wasn't functioning as it was."

Why is everything so blurry?

Chishiya came close to me and whispered..

"You know... The money was the price. The box held the camera. The photos contained you."

Black out...

____________________________________

Chishiya's POV

It amazes me how she forgot. It also amazes me how easy that was. A story I only knew, besides her guardians. A story that I used to my advantage.

If she kept getting close to me, she would've gotten in the way. Telling her at least almost everything could be enough for her to hate me. A reason to stay away from me. Because a part of me wanted to see more of her. But from afar.

It's quite scary how people can be so oblivious. So blurred in life. So naïve. So artless and unsophisticated. Natural and ingenious.

So apathetic, willing to take any information without thinking twice. Might as well tell you this then...