09 | granny's cookin'

Rashad "June" Lockhart Jr
Sunday, October 9 | 8:11 a.m.
Wind Quartz Luxury Apartments

-

"Do you have to go so soon?" Karine whines, reaching out to me from underneath the covers as I exit the bathroom. I throw away the freshly used toothbrush and head over to the nightstand.

"Hell yeah, I got shit to do."

Quickly pulling my shirt over my head, I tuck my gun into my waistband before throwing the rest of my stuff into my pockets.

"I can cook breakfast for you before you leave." She yawns deeply, covering her mouth.

"No thank you."

"Aww." Karine runs her hands through her tangled hair and pokes her bottom lip out. "Well, maybe we can get dinner tonight then. This time, just the two of us?"

"Nah, I'm good. 'Preciate it though."

She's starting to do the same thing that most women do when we start fucking — getting too attached. We agreed on just casual sex, nothing more than that and I've been honest from the jump. Never had to lie to get no pussy.

"Okay well — "

I pick up my phone and the screen lights up to reveal two new text message notifications.

Dangerous Dex:
We all at granny house. She cookin.
She said bring yo ass nigga.

Otw.

[ Dangerous Dex liked "Otw." ]

"You could at least answer me while you over there staring at yo' phone, nigga." Karine is standing on the other side of the bed with her hands on her hips, glaring at me.

"Aight. I'll see you later or somethin'." I walk towards the front door and she sucks her teeth, still mumbling obscenities.

"That's if  I feel like seeing your ass. The way you actin' now, I'm starting to feel like I'm wasting my time and I never let nobody waste my time."

"Yeah, aight." I chuckle, closing her door softly and her voice becomes muffled. I decide to jog down the stairs, not feeling like waiting on the busy elevator. I end up reaching the parking deck in half the time.

"Oh hey, it's June, right? I didn't know you lived in this building."

A turn my head to see a woman with tan skin and curly hair approaching me. She looks familiar but I don't know from where — hell, I'm around town a lot, she could be anybody.

"Wassup. I ain't get yo' name."

"It's Lira." She giggles, briefly touching my arm. "I love yo' car by the way."

"I appreciate it. Have a nice day." I dismiss her and get into my Hellcat, starting it up immediately. She slowly backs up but doesn't turn around before offering a few more words.

"You too. I'll see you around, neighbor."

I nod, not even bothering to tell her that I don't live here. The less that strangers know about me, the better. I whip out of the parking garage and into the busy city traffic, turning up the volume on my speakers in one swift motion.