23 | i wanna be with you

Rashad "June" Lockhart jr
Friday, December 9  | 7:34 p.m.
Downtown

-

"Why not? I ain't seen you all week. You been drivin' to and from work all by yo'self and everything."

"Because you got enough pictures of me! Plus, I look a mess right now." Giselle dismisses my request, stifling a giggle.

"Man, i'on wanna hear that." I place the phone between my ear and shoulder, setting the chilled bottle of blue Gatorade on the counter. "A pack of Russian creams too."

"Of course. Will that be all?" The cashier grabs the requested backwoods and I nod, lowering my voice as I speak into the receiver. "Anyway, send me something. Tomorrow ain't promised to nobody."

"Bye, Rashad." She sings, and I hear shifting on the other line. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Aight, baby." I chuckle lightly before disconnecting the call. Grabbing the plastic bag, I decline the receipt offer and push through the heavy glass door, the bell above loudly announcing my departure. The cold air bites my face and tuck my lips inward to shield them from the dry wind.

"'Bout time, nigga." Kasey chuckles, swiftly throwing away the remainder of his black and mild before matching my stride. "You in there takin' yo sweet ass time tryna pillow talk and shit."

"Relax." I shoot him a glare and get behind the wheel. The Hellcat roars to life and we exit the gas station parking lot, merging into the hectic city traffic. The sky is darkening by the second and the inside of the vehicle is flooded with a faint red hue from the tail lights of the cars in front of us. I switch lanes, bobbing my head to the melody of Smino's "No L's."

"Fried as fuck, Friday night. Drivin' hot as fuck. Ain't got no license. I got all this stuff. Stuff on my mind."

Coming to a halt in front of a stoplight, I grab my Gatorade and crack open the seal. Kasey gestures to the driver of the baby blue Hyundai on the right of us and the window rolls down, revealing two women in the front.

"Sometimes, you gotta move when the spirit say so. Okay, Jose I'm on Cuervo."

"What's your name, beautiful?" He leans his arm out the window, and the woman behind the wheel rubs her lips together to fight off a grin. She's a brown skinned girl, wearing jet black hair that cascades down her back.

"Malia." She shyly responds, shooting a quick glance at her friend. My phone buzzes with a new text message notification and I pick it up instantly.

Giselle
Attachments: 3 images

I see Kasey motion towards me with his head from my peripheral vision, but I'm too focused on the pictures on my screen to give them my full attention immediately. "Me and my homie 'bouta ride out to his spot, 99 Degrees. Y'all should pull up....get a lil money spent on ya or somthin'."

The woman in the passenger seat leans forward to look at us both. Her natural curls are bleached blonde, harmonizing perfectly with her golden complexion.

"Sure." She smiles, offering her friend a small shrug. "We'll follow y'all. I'm Lyric by the way."

"Kasey. This my boy June." He replies smoothly and I finally nod my greeting, making quick eye contact just to be polite. Both windows are rolled up shortly afterwards and the left turn signal of the blue Hyundai is flipped on.

"Damn, nigga. You don't gotta look like you hate 'em." He chuckles, his head jerking a bit when I press the gas.

"Yo ass real friendly today." I hit the send button and place my phone back in my lap.